10808 Posts in 2494 Topics by 1782 members
|Go to End|
29 July 2009 at 10:11am
I was using Mollom fine on a development site. Launched site and changed URL from subdomain to main domain, and now Mollom doesn't work.
I upgraded to the newest version of both modules required. I'm running SS 2.3.2. I just deleted my site from the Mollom account and re added it with a new private/public key and updated my config file, still doesn't work. All comments are going through and I'm getting hammered with spam.
Here is my config file:
How can I debug this further?
29 July 2009 at 12:38pm
They changed the spelling in the upgrade.
with an 'o' rather than an 'e'
29 July 2009 at 1:33pm
Awesome, that fixed it. I figured it was a typo somewhere, or some minor thing I was overlooking.
It wasn't working before I upgraded to the latest version, but I guess that could be to API changes or something as I was using beta 1 - the original first release.
Either way, seems to be working again now.
30 July 2009 at 2:00pm
Does anybody have any positive experience using Mollom?
I'm using the free version, but I'm finding blatant spam messages are getting by with ease. Here is a comment copied and pasted that gets through by the 100s:
"said; folic acid and metformin; cialis female; insomnia pills; dilantin and ritalin; buy combivent; paxil forum; buy fucidin; zyloprim brand name price; buy cozaar;"
It then contains a link in the URL field to a spam site. This is on the normal page comment section.
In the reports section of SS the Mollom report is showing blocking of spam comments, but the one above seems rather obvious.
Does marking the comments as spam in the back end of SS train Mollom to better catch them next time?
I'm wondering if I should just switch to reCaptcha as I know that works very well.
30 July 2009 at 5:55pm
Like you, I'm using the free version and I too have gotten some obvious spam posts already. Not as bad as without mollom but still...
30 July 2009 at 7:37pm
I've been using Mollom for a while now and for a long time it blocked 100% of spam. This new lot seems to be getting past but hopefully they will update their rules soon.
I have disabled the URL field in my comments - its primary purpose seems to be to give spammers a place to promote their web site, at least on my non-technical web sites where very few people have their own web site.
31 July 2009 at 3:17am Last edited: 31 July 2009 3:18am
Thanks for the responses. I assumed I wasn't the only one, I was just shocked at how little this is actually working and how obvious spam messages were getting through. I could understand if they were good attempts and making it look like a real comment, but these aren't even close.
Their website mentions if a spam message gets through, to report it so Mollom can learn and I'd assume adjust their algro. I don't see any option for this, unless marking them as spam in SS admin does this.
Also, I'm getting the odd error "Error: Uncaught Exception: Specify at least on argument" on the MollomServer.php file. I have errors turned on to be emailed to me.
Also, I wasn't logged into my site, and I copied and pasted one of the comments getting through and posted it myself, and sure enough it posted right away. I wasn't sure if comments were slipping through or if the bots were cracking the captcha. It is the former, not the latter.
31 July 2009 at 9:21am
I am also getting those error messages in the emails, I haven't found a fix yet. As far as the spam is concerned, according to the statistics on mollom.com, they are blocking some spam but not those ones that just consist of items separated by semi-colons.
|Go to Top|