17452 Posts in 4473 Topics by 1971 members
|Go to End|
23 December 2007 at 10:26am
I have been trying for 3 days solid to get ss installed on a CENTOS host. I have installed ss before on other Linux boxes with out problems.
The initial install page says everything is OK.
I can comfirm that mod_rewrite is installed with the 'httpd -l' comand
I have Allowoverride set to All in httpd.conf
I have all file and folder permissions set to 777 before I was trying 644
The error I get after clicking install is: mod_rewrite doesn't appear to be working
I really want to get this working as I have about 8 ss site I want to set up on this box.
I've look over all relevant posts in this forum but nothing helps.
23 December 2007 at 3:15pm
What happens when you just carry on.
I've had the mod_rewrite warning, but my hoster told me it was a mis-report & when I continued everything worked fine !
HTH - Dave Porter
23 December 2007 at 9:14pm
Sorry, I really can't help except to say It works fine for me...
On all the installs I've done on my Centos VPS, I've had the notice saying it can't identify whether or not I have mod_rewrite enabled (I actually do).. but have had no problems actually running the sites.
24 December 2007 at 4:48am Last edited: 24 December 2007 4:48am
Hi, thank for the replies . I have move it to another host CentOS again and still have the same problems.
I do call it's bluff and continue. I end up on page mydomain/home/successfullyinstalled?flush=1
with the text:
The requested URL /home/caroline/public_html/sapphire/main.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
The main.php file is there with permission 777.
I'm total at a loss. I tried a previous version, same problems. The only thing that seems different from when I have had it working Is that there is no domain name pointing to the IP yet.
This is really embarrassing for my as I have customer waiting for there site. I don't know what to try next.
25 December 2007 at 5:15pm
I have a couple of domains handy for use on my staging sites. If you email me the IP I could point a domain to it for ya. Then you could at least confirm whether or not the lack of a domain is is the cause of the problem.
It might take up to 48hrs to propagate over the interweb tubes though, by which time your client could be blowing steam out his ears.
28 December 2007 at 7:42am
Thanks for the offer, I did have an old domain name laying around. I didn't try it because I thought 'surly it can't be that'. But you know what, that's exactly what it was! I'll start a new thread to warn others.
1 January 2008 at 10:15pm
Glad you managed to pinpoint the problem Tom.
I reckon you should post either a bug report or a feature request for this, depending on how you see it.
Happy new year!
|Go to Top|