17452 Posts in 4473 Topics by 1971 members
|Go to End||Next >|
31 October 2008 at 2:50pm Last edited: 31 October 2008 2:53pm
I was getting pretty frustrated with the Gallery module last weekend when I had to upload over 100 photos to my website. Fortunately, I was able to channel the frustration into something productive, and a few days later, I have a pretty nice, 99% hack-free extension to the Gallery module that makes image-only galleries a lot easier to update and nicer to look at. I'm looking for people to test it out, find the bugs, suggest features, and just all around let me know if it has any legs.
* All photo management done through the front-end. Not in the CMS.
* Built on jQuery framework. No more prototype.
* Uses Shadowbox to display images. Lightwindow is too slow and buggy!
* Extends the SS Gallery module, so it is very lightweight, and there is no duplicate code.
* Facebook-style interface for adding captions after upload.
* Drag-and-drop to reorder your photos right on your website.
* Edit captions from within the gallery view.
* Delete photos from within the gallery view.
* Implements another extension I built for SWFUpload, which allows the fully configurable SWFUploadField Object to be added to front-end forms, bringing benefits such as:
o File size and type is interrogated before file selection (invalid files are greyed out).
o An unlimited number of files can be Ã¢â‚¬Å“shiftÃ¢â‚¬Â or Ã¢â‚¬Å“ctrlÃ¢â‚¬Â clicked at once
o Upload progress is displayed.
o Flash Player 10 compliant.
* Sometimes the cache gets really sticky, and it can appear that no photos have uploaded, but you just have to refresh the page. I have HTTP::set_cache_age(0) set, and it seems to help a lot.
The module is set up on an out-of-the-box Black Candy site at
Click "Image Gallery" to view the page. To get access to the admin features, click "Login" and use:
31 October 2008 at 3:32pm
Nice work! I especially like the uploader.
I have been working on the gallery module over the past 4 weeks - which now uses the nyroModal jQuery plugin - but your version used could well be better.
Something my version of gallery has is a gallery holder - so each site can easily have multiple galleries in one area.
Email me on email@example.com so we can talk further about progressing this in the open source community
1 November 2008 at 6:28am
Great! Glad you like it. Just sent you an email. Thanks for the feedback.
1 November 2008 at 7:54am
So, where's the code?
1 November 2008 at 10:52am
Fantastisch! Yeah, where's the code? Publish early and often ;)
Aaron, are you keen to help out on improving the gallery module itself? Features like inline editing would be nice to have in the main codebase as well from what I see. We're always on the lookout for module maintainers and contributors, gallery is no exception here
1 November 2008 at 11:23am
So glad to hear you like it. I knew this question was coming, and I should have addressed it in my original post.
I figured rather than release buggy code, I'd first have people test and refine it before releasing it. So far everything is looking good. There's one change I want to make to the interface, so I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.
Ingo, I'd be very interested in any opportunity you guys have for me. I'm really trying to carve out a niche in the SS community. Love what you guys are doing.
Stay tuned for a zip file.
2 November 2008 at 7:30am Last edited: 2 November 2008 7:31am
Okay, I've attached the zip file. It includes both modules "image_gallery" and "swfupload." Just drop both of them in your Silverstripe root directory, along with the latest release of the Gallery module if you don't already have it.
A few updates since the last one:
* Added "admin" action. Now to get management features, just go to /my-gallery-urlsegment/admin to log in and get redirected back to an admin page for your gallery.
* Added "View all Photos" option. Some users requested being able to reorganize photos across pages. By viewing all the photos on one page, that is now possible.
* Styled the management links into a horizontal bar
* Submit button on upload form now reads "save" in lieu of "add captions." Some users found this confusing.
* "Skip this step" option added to caption form
* Code has been commented and QA'ed.
Keep the feedback coming!
2 November 2008 at 7:32am
I forgot to click "upload" for my attachment. Here you go.
|Go to Top||Next >|