1851 Posts in 1606 Topics by 561 members
|Go to End|
16 July 2010 at 10:01am Last edited: 18 July 2010 1:01pm
I've been using SS for 3 weeks now and I'm really liking it. A lot. Recently I've added the blog module and unfortunately I can't seem to find the answers to a few seemingly simple questions.
1. I've added four posts and post-dated two of them to a date before three months ago. In the main blog page cms (BlogHolder) I select to display the last three months. In theory I should only see two posts and a pager at the bottom to get to the other two. The problem is that there is no pager. No amount of changing the display number changes that. Is this supposed to work out-of-the-box or am I supposed to config something?
UPDATE: Setting the $default_entries_limit in the /blog/code/BlogTree.php file and showing all posts in the cms gets the pagination working. Even though I set the cms to show only the latest 3 months posts, thinking I would see the pager, the BlogTree.php file was set to display the pager only after 10 posts. I never actually found any documentation on this.
2. After adding the four posts, (just for the sake of 'seeing what it did') I removed the rss, archive and tag cloud widgets from the sidebar. Now that I have (re)enabled them again, they just show up as headlines with no links. See attached. How do I turn them back on and have them work?
UPDATE: So it appears that because I hadn't filled in the rss url, it caused all the other widgets after it to fail to load. I guess that's not technically a bug since it probably wouldn't be an active widget without filling in the url anyway, but it does cause other widgets to fail completely if it fails first.
3. The documentation says two new templates (BlogHolder.ss, BlogEntry.ss), but there are actually three templates(BlogTree.ss). There's no documentation on this third template. Is it just a generic holder?
UPDATE: From the comments in the class source:
* A blog holder is the leaf end of a BlogTree, but can also be used standalone in simpler circumstances.
* BlogHolders can only hold BlogEntries, BlogTrees can only hold BlogTrees and BlogHolders
* BlogHolders have a form on them for easy posting, and an owner that can post to them, BlogTrees don't
4. "Read Full Article" All four of my posts display the full article already. No need to click that link. I would like to show teaser text, but my default blog shows the whole article. How do I turn that on? Or at least remove the "Read..." link? Ideally I'd like to use teaser text though. And yes, my posts are multi-paragraph.
UPDATE: As it turns out pasting text into the wysiwyg...you don't always swyg. Turns out it was double br tags instead of paragraphs.
5. WYSIWYG vs. BBCode - The documentation says bbcode is on by default and give instructions on how to turn on the wysiwyg editor instead. Mine came defaulted to the wysiwyg editor. Not a big deal, but it made me wonder if the documentation has been updated recently.
UPDATE: Apparently this changed in a previous update?
6. And finally, this question that someone else posted http://www.silverstripe.org/blog-module-forum/show/288060#post288060 regarding the bug in the date-picker in the blog cms. Is there a way to make the date-picker work, or at least disable it?
UPDATE: Still can't figure this out.
21 July 2010 at 11:23am
Regarding point 6, I still don't know of a fix, but a workaround for the time being is to enter the date manually, keeping in mind the formats it expects.
|Go to Top|