Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Event Calendar Suggestion: Make defaultFutureMonths configurable

3 Posts   776 Views

jak

Community Member, 46 Posts

29 March 2010 at 5:58am

Edited: 29/03/2010 6:00am

Hi!
I have a suggestion for the module event_calendar, namely to make $defaultFutureMonths configurable.
A patch that does this could look like this:
file: event_calendar/code/calendar.php

9c9,10
<       'OtherDatesCount' => 'Int'
---
>       'OtherDatesCount' => 'Int',
>       'FutureMonths' => 'Int'
25c26,27
<       'OtherDatesCount' => '3'
---
>       'OtherDatesCount' => '3',
>       'FutureMonths' => '6'
33d34
< static $defaultFutureMonths = 6;
104c105,106
<          new NumericField('OtherDatesCount', _t('Calendar.NUMBERFUTUREDATES','Number of future dates to show for repeating events'))
---
>          new NumericField('OtherDatesCount', _t('Calendar.NUMBERFUTUREDATES','Number of future dates to show for repeating events')),
>          new NumericField('FutureMonths', _t('Calendar.FUTUREMONTHS','Number of months events are shown in the future if no end date is specified'))
335c337
<          $this->end_date = new sfDate($this->start_date->addMonth(Calendar::$defaultFutureMonths)->date());
---
>          $this->end_date = new sfDate($this->start_date->addMonth($this->FutureMonths)->date());
394c396
<          $start_date->subtractMonth(Calendar::$defaultFutureMonths),
---
>          $start_date->subtractMonth($this->FutureMonths),
550c552
<                $this->end_date = new sfDate($this->start_date->addMonth(Calendar::$defaultFutureMonths)->date());
---
>                $this->end_date = null;
560c562
<          $this->end_date = new sfDate($this->start_date->addMonth(Calendar::$defaultFutureMonths)->date());
---
>          $this->end_date = null;
764a767
>       

Explanation: $defaultFutureMonths is not needed anywhere outside of Calendar. The accesses in Calendar_Controller can be replaced with end_date=null which has the same effect.
I renamed $defaultFutureMonths to FutureMonths and added the necessary code to allow configuration via the silverstripe backend.

These changes are just a suggestion, nevertheless I think they would be an useful addition.

Of course the translation for the field FUTUREMONTHS would also have to be added to the language files (event_calendar/lang/en_US.php and de_DE.php).

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

29 March 2010 at 10:14am

You can just do it in your_config.php.

Calendar::$defaultFutureMonths = 10;

jak

Community Member, 46 Posts

30 March 2010 at 11:16pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, I am used to not being able to set class variables from the outside...

I still think that it would be good to expose this setting in the configuration backend. The reason I stumbled across this variable was because I was wondering why dates in the far future did not show up in the frontend.