Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Does the subsite module work right out of the box?

Go to End

5 Posts   1970 Views

honeybunny

Community Member, 79 Posts

11 May 2010 at 1:43am

Edited: 14/05/2010 12:39am

Is the subsites module supposed to work right out of the box? I've tried previous versions of subsites with earlier versions of SilverStripe and have never been able to get it to work. I'm now using SS version 2.4 with Subsites trunk-r104230 and I still can't get it to work. The tables load, I get the subsite dropdown in the cms and the pages save, but I am never able to access the live page. It doesn't matter whether I click on the view page option from within the cms or type in the url from a browser, I just get a generic 500 error. I guess I thought that with the release of 2.4 my problem would be solved and I could just upload the subsites module like every other module and it would work.

Am I the only one who is still having a problem with this? If it's not supposed to work without tweaking could someone add explicit directions to the module download? I know there are numerous threads offering suggestions about how to get subsites to work, but there have been so many changes to SS and subsites that I can't tell if they are still applicable. Other than the ability to share assets, is there any advantage to using subsites? Would it be easier to do multiple installs of SS and just create a unique database for each url?

Lost and confused,

HB

honeybunny

14 May 2010 at 1:01am

It's a few days later and the question remains the same. Has anyone been able to use this module without modification?

I've managed to get to the point where one subsite comes back with a 500 error and the other comes back with a 404 error. I thought this was progress as a page not found error should be an easy fix. Hmmm. Not quite. It turns out that once I added a subdomain I lost the ability to link in the main site.

I didn't realize this until I went into the error log and discovered a bunch of errors for the main site. There were no errors in the log when I was just getting the 500 error for the subsite, but once the second subsite changed to 404 things went haywire. Somewhere in the process of adding a subsite the main site lost most, but not all, of its links. Again, not a problem. Just go back in and reset the links. Time consuming but not worth having a stroke over. Wrong. When I click the link icon on any of the pages in the main site the only pages that show up under the "Link to pages on the site" dropdown are the subsite's pages. When I delete the subsite the dropdown goes back to showing pages for the main/current site.

Seriously, is the subsites module supposed to work right out of the box? All the other modules I've tried loaded and worked without too much effort. I'm out of ideas and after a week of this I am fist-through-the-wall frustrated. (And I still have to go back and relink everything in the main site...) What could I possibly be doing wrong?

HB (frothing at the mouth and looking slightly rabid)

msouden

6 Posts

14 May 2010 at 2:12pm

An update on this would be great. I too spent untold hours prematurely trying to get this to work. Until I see unequivocal confirmation Subsites is ready for primetime I'm gonna wait.

honeybunny

18 May 2010 at 3:09am

I ended up uninstalling subsites again. I know there is an open ticket about the drop down link menu problem, but I'm not seeing much information about the other issues. I imagine that the 500 error is related to htaccess, but it is the least of my problems. Just having the subsite module installed, even when there are no subsites, seems to create problems with the site tree.

Every time I access another tab in SS something goes wrong in the tree when I go back to the pages tab. Sometimes it duplicates (or triplicates) the site content. Can you imagine all of your published pages being reproduced threefold on your web site? Try un-publishing and deleting all those files every other time you go back to the pages tab. Other times it just removes the published pages from the tree and replaces them with empty pages as if you were starting with a fresh site. The live site is fine, and the tables are normal, but the site tree is empty except for the generic home, page not found, and blog pages.

As it stands now, I can run subsite domains and pages outside of SS directly from the web root. (No 500 or 404 errors) It would have been nice to do everything from the same interface, but the I can't deal with the hassle. If I come across a client who wants to manage multiple sites from the cms I will just have to get creative with coding and redirection. Sigh... It will be ugly, but it's doable.

HB (starting the week refreshed and free from stress)

apiening

Community Member, 60 Posts

18 May 2010 at 9:35am

hi honeybunny,

the subsites module works out of the box, where "out of the box" means following the usual steps for installing a module with silverstripe.

can you give a little more information about the stack you are using? which other modules are you using? do you have any custom code in your project yet?

cheers

andy