Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Subsites and SS 2.4 - 500 error


Go to End
Reply


14 Posts   2576 Views

Avatar
Alex S

Community Member, 30 Posts

12 September 2010 at 12:25am

Really interesting thread here. I guess that the sub-site module is now defunct on SS 2.4.0 and above? I was looking into doing sub-sites myself all managed through the one SS interface. If anyone's got it all working I'd love to hear how you did it. Of course, if I manage it, I'll post here.

Alex

Avatar
dacar

Community Member, 168 Posts

14 September 2010 at 10:44pm

Hi, i have installed the subsite module succesfuly!
Make sure, that your Subsites (subdomains) point to your Silverstripe root folder and everything works fine.

Have a look at my playground:

http://www.flavourtripping.de/
http://carsten.flavourtripping.de/

Avatar
Alex S

Community Member, 30 Posts

14 September 2010 at 11:00pm

I found that when I went into the sub-sites screen, using the tab at the top of the CMS I had no option to view or add new sub-sites? In the end I went with separate installs, they're going to be small sites so I figured there was no harm. I'll keep an eye on this thread though.

Alex

Avatar
dacar

Community Member, 168 Posts

14 September 2010 at 11:08pm

Hi Alex, i can't confirm that. Have a look at the screenshot.

Greetings, Carsten.

Attached Files
Avatar
Alex S

Community Member, 30 Posts

14 September 2010 at 11:49pm

Wow, that's interesting, I'll grab a screen shot of what I see when I get back to the development machine I've been using and post that.

Alex

Avatar
honeybunny

Community Member, 79 Posts

30 September 2010 at 2:53am

I just wanted to add a follow up as this thread seemed to end without resolution. The domain I was trying to get subsites to work with is on a shared host (linux, apache 2.2.15, php 5.2.13) using cpanel.

I was eventually able to get the module to work using ss2.4.1 with the version of subsites dated 7/23/10 pretty much right out of the box. The only thing I had to do was create the sub-domain with cpanel, add an htaccess file with "RewriteEngine off" and an index.php file directly to the sub-domain's directory. That was it. I did not have to change anything in the index file, add any additional code or re-write any of the core code.

This worked with sub-domains created from the original domain (IE: subdomain.maindomain.com) as well as completely different top level domains pointed to the primary domain. (IE: differentdomain.com pointed to the maindomain.com account).

It is well documented that I am not a php whiz, however it has been my experience that any time I try to use a cms with cpanel (that's any cms) I end up spending a lot of time "fixing" things. Sometimes that means doing a lot of rewrites, sometimes it's just a matter of doing things differently than the directions.

HB

Go to Top