Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Auth External - pulling additional user data

Go to End

3 Posts   1788 Views

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

10 July 2010 at 8:25pm

A quick question on the auth_external module: when it authorises a user, can it also be used to pull additional information about that user and save it to their account? Even if it just allowed additional information to be passed and provided a hook, that would be great.

I'm thinking about a third-party membership system that would provide HTML authentication. Once users are authenticated, the system can provide membership levels, personal name, renewal date, even personal messages from the administrator. The idea is that this information would be pulled in the user's SS account (created or amended as required) and that could then be used in various placed around the SS CMS pages.

I am just wondering if Auth External makes this easy, i.e. already has this built-in as a feature.

-- Jason

lancer

57 Posts

11 July 2010 at 1:05am

No, this is not something that is built in.

A "getInfo" method could be added to the ExternalAuthenticator class to return additional attributes, but this is not relevant to the Authentication process. Also the only authentication source this could work with is LDAP.

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

11 July 2010 at 8:34pm

Okay, thanks. At least I have a good module to work from.

For us "authentication" extends beyond just knowing that a user knows their password, and includes knowing additional things about that user, because many of those things affect what the user has permission to do on the SS website. I'll just extend the module to enable an arbitrary data structure to be passed back, and take it from there.

-- Jason