Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

where is sitemap.xml stored?

Go to End

4 Posts   2718 Views

pietro

Community Member, 18 Posts

21 October 2010 at 10:21am

Googlesitemaps module seems to be working fine on my SS2.4.1 install, if I go to mysite.com/sitemap.xml I can see the site tree including new pages.

Where my question comes from is that when I go to my root folder (using FTP or a file manager) the actual xml file is not there, even though the files content is displayed on the browser and the file is getting updated somewhere because new pages are showing.

So Google is asking for a xml file in the root directory; the actual file does not exist but everything seems to be working. I will appreciate if someone can briefly explain. This is getting a little over my head.

Thanks in advance,

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

21 October 2010 at 11:34am

You'll probably also notice that none of your pages exist on the filesystem as well. This is because the requests all get sent to sapphire/main.php (have a look at .htaccess if you want to see how it's done). The sitemaps module then registers with sapphire that it wants to be given the sitemap.xml URI, and then goes and generates the sitemap each time it's called.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

21 October 2010 at 11:36am

It doesn't exist anywhere. It's just a URL that points to a controller that generates content on the fly, just like every other Silverstripe request.

---------------
Silverstripe tips, tutorials, screencasts, and more. http://www.leftandmain.com

pietro

Community Member, 18 Posts

21 October 2010 at 5:46pm

Simon and Unclecheese, thank you for your quick reply and explanation, I feel better now that it all sort of makes sense in my head! I am obviously not a programmer but I like to learn and working with the SS community has been a great experience since day one.

Best,