Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

interactive cropping

Go to End

20 Posts   8907 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

31 May 2011 at 3:41pm

To be fair, the CMS did include a full-featured image editor in early versions of 2.x, but it was axed pretty quickly -- probably around 2.3, I want to say. It was all Flash based and kind of clunky, but I always wondered why it was just completely killed rather than improved..

---------------
Silverstripe tips, tutorials, screencasts, and more. http://www.leftandmain.com

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

1 June 2011 at 4:04am

Yeah, I agree Aaron!

I didn't mean for my post to be in any way dogging SilverStripe. I was just searching for a possible module that already did what I was looking for so I didn't have to 'reinvent' the wheel (so to speak). What I am looking for is definitely doable, especially in SS. I've already started doing this, so maybe I will release it as a Module at some point as well.

Still looking forward to that writeup you mentioned though!

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

1 June 2011 at 4:26am

I could be waaaaay off here, but does this help...
http://silverstripe.org/pixlr-image-editor-module/

Terry Apodaca

1 June 2011 at 5:09am

curious to see if I can integrate that in some way, but that's a little too overboard. thanks for the link though. I will check it out.

this is a good start to what is needed: http://www.ssbits.com/snippets/2009/adding-a-thumbnail-to-a-dataobjectmanager-or-complex-table-field/

Terry Apodaca

30 June 2011 at 2:27pm

Not sure if anyone has made any progress on this, but here's a set of tools that could easily be integrated into DOM (for now...until 3.0 comes out). I wish I had time to do it myself, but I won't until August!

Please let me know if this helps and if anyone successfully gets this integrated into SS/DOM!

http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/02/best-image-croppers-ready-to-use-for.html

purplespider

Community Member, 89 Posts

14 October 2011 at 11:23pm

Did anyone get any further with this? Or is this just going to be part of SS3.0?

It would be amazing to give clients the ability to easily select the area of the image they wish to crop, especially useful for things like page banner images which have a specific ratio. At the moment they have to just accept it cropping the middle of the image.

Harley

Community Member, 165 Posts

15 October 2011 at 2:10am

Yeah I'm really keen on this too.

The Pixlr module is great but doesn't seem to work so well when accessing from "Files and images". I'm looking into integrating a crop tool at the moment using Uploadify with jCrop but it's not going so well.

Any news on this would be great.

Xananax Prozaxx

Community Member, 11 Posts

15 October 2011 at 2:20am

Well, on my side, I ended up rolling a whole new admin area. I got too frustrated by the lack of control of the admin as it is.
Don't get me wrong, I love SS and I think it's well-thought (or else I wouldn't be using it), but imho the admin area is just too restrictive. Perfect for entry-level coders, and if you are simply using pages, but as soon as you begin using dataObjects and want particular stuff to happen, there is just not enough control (or not enough doc, maybe).
So I am outputting forms on the front-end that can be seen only by admins, and that's how I deal with everything, until I understand how the cms part works.
I don't really get why the cms works differently than the front-end. When I began with silverstripe, I was impressed by the level of control and the easiness, and I was certain the cms was just a site, only readily available. Turns out everything about the cms works differently, even how it handles template files, etc...Plus the whole "everything-ajaxed" paradigm is just...Ok I guess, but very limiting in certain cases.
I don't mean to bash SS; it is in my opinion, not only the best cms, but virtually the only cms worth looking at (I've worked with drupal, joomla, wordpress, and tried dozens of others). It even stands it's ground against pure frameworks (cakePHP,igniter). I liked symphony cms but it was nowhere as easy to pickup. But the cms part really could do with more work. Or more doc. Or making it more like a normal site, that can be modified like front-end sites.