Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Small change request to google sitemap module

6 Posts   926 Views

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

4 June 2011 at 10:09am

Edited: 04/06/2011 10:10am

Hello Ingo,

I really like Your google sitemap module. In combination with order SilverStripe measures like clean URL's sites easily rank on high positions without much effort.
For our ecommerce module [url="http://www.silvercart.org"]SilverCart[/url] we need product detail pages to appear on the google sitemap. The thing is that our products are in fact DataObjects an not Pages. I had to decorate the function Items() of the class GoogleSitemap to make this work. I had to add the line

$this->extend("updateItems", $newPages);

after line 95 to make this function decorateable. I would be happy if You could add this line to the codebase so that I do not have to change core files.

Thanks,

Roland

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

6 June 2011 at 3:36pm

Hi baba-papa,

The forum isn't the place to submit feature ideas as the module owner may not see your thread. You should submit patches as pull requests on the github project - https://github.com/silverstripe-labs/silverstripe-googlesitemaps.

updateItems may also be a bad name for the extension hook as it isn't clear thats for googlesitemaps. Perhaps a good enhancement to the module would be a GoogleSitemapableDecorator which you could apply to your dataobject (say forum posts as well) then in Items it would get a list of all the items with the decorator attached.

Patches welcome :)

baba-papa

7 June 2011 at 3:49am

Hello Willr,
thanks for your reply. Sebastian and I did some changes to the GoogleSitemap module. It now can be used to show DataObjects that have an own link. With the help of a static method the class name of the DataObjects to add is defined.
We use Mercurial for code management and collaboration. I am not used to git hub and at the moment I'm too lazy to learn their command line syntax. How does a pull request work? Do I simply push to git://github.com/silverstripe-labs/silverstripe-googlesitemaps.git?

Best regards,

Roland

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

7 June 2011 at 3:38pm

No, you cannot simply push to the official repos. Instructions for how to contribute are available http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/misc/contributing#sending-pull-requests-for-git

If you wish, just submit a plain old diff patch file to open.ss and we can still merge it in the old skool way.

baba-papa

7 June 2011 at 9:14pm

Hi willr,

thanks for your offer to do it the lazy way. I started learning git yesterday and now I am very ambiguous to do it the right way making a pull request. This might take a few days.

baba-papa

8 June 2011 at 6:44am

Hi willr,
I tired to make the pull request by using the terminal. GIT terminal commands are too confusing to me and I did not like the tutorials. It took me 4 weeks to learn mercurial. I'm not willing to go through this again atm. I made the pull request via git's website form.
I may write a tutorial about how my changes work.