Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

FulltextSearch module

Go to End

12 Posts   3798 Views

MarkusM

Community Member, 11 Posts

30 July 2013 at 11:45am

Hi,

I am currently looking into options of using a search engine for our project. I am using SS 3 and I need support for full text search, document indexing (PDF, DOC) and geospatial search.

Seems like there are a number of modules out there that support lucene, sphinx, solr and elasticsearch. If I understand right, then the FulltextSearch module aims to replace the former solr and sphinx modules. Can you give me an update of the current status and if I should use the FulltextSearch module or the older sphinx/solr modules? Does the module only support full text search or also geospatial search and search in documents (as Solr/spinx do)?

Thanks,

Markus

Sphere

Community Member, 46 Posts

31 July 2013 at 7:45am

FTS module was aimed to replace it. But with SS3 and a lot of time-shortage, I have not updated this module.

Compared to Lucene-like modules, this is not the module you want anymore. I would advice to have a look at this module:
https://github.com/wecodenl/silverstripe-lucene
It's fully SS3 compatible and is way faster than the FTS module I made.

In summary, this module is deprecated for SS3+ (until I feel like upgrading it)

MarkusM

Community Member, 11 Posts

1 August 2013 at 9:23am

Thanks for the reply and the recommendation, saves me time and trouble.

geekdenz

Community Member, 37 Posts

20 November 2013 at 4:34pm

I found this page looking through the code: http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/tutorials/4-site-search

However, we need advanced search capabilities for also Word and PDF documents' contents and even spatial searches. I was going to implement a module that uses SphinxSearch because I'm most familiar with SphinxSearch and it seems very fast and optimised for searching relational databases and even spatial things. We need to search a PostgreSQL/PostGIS database and not MySQL so the standard search function doesn't seem advanced enough.

How would I go about this? I was looking at extending DataExtension like the FulltextSearchable class does and then writing my own Controller class as well. Seems like it is doable. Any gotchas you can point out would be much appreciated.

Go to Top