Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Working Gallery Plugin for SS 3

Go to End

106 Posts   30343 Views

Optic Blaze

Community Member, 190 Posts

2 May 2014 at 9:08pm

Good arthurdent.... i am also not trained as a programmer...but had to learn the skills. It is in fact due to silverstripe and the community that i was 'forced' to learn and i believe form a design perspective the more programming skills you have the cooler sites you can build. Just keep at it and refer to the docs http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/ often. They SS has become much better at documenting how things work and it is only going to get better.

MartinPhone

Community Member, 57 Posts

4 May 2014 at 2:23am

Optic Blaze - I did not mean to offend, I think we're all on the same side really. :) I really do appreciate the work you have done on the module and like yourself, I've made some modules/widgets and but felt they weren't quite ready for the public or maybe just too site-specific. I would be a more active member of the community if I felt I had more to offer, either with skillz or 'product'.

I think this is the thing I'm trying to get across is that when I have made them my time has been more spent on trying to work out why it's broken rather than improving and making cool stuff. I was, perhaps naively hoping to find a quick gallery module for SS3 that would just work, so I could quickly whip up a site for a friend of mine. Instead I was again scratching my head for most of the time. The docs are indeed a bit better now, it's true but there are still quite a few holes.

I will try with your updated code (THANKS!) and, if all else fails, dive in and see what I can do. Which'll probably be terrible. ;)

Optic Blaze

4 May 2014 at 2:49am

Edited: 04/05/2014 2:51am

No worries MartinPhone I understand the frustration we all sit with from time to time. We all wish that our code was better and that the support is there when we need it most. I think i read a blog from Uncle Cheese once where he also berated himself for poor quality code. That is the beauty of community. We help each other get better over time. If you run into hassles with the gallery, submit a ticket via Github and i will see if i can help.

MartinPhone

4 May 2014 at 10:08am

So. It works beautifully. :)

Thank you, Optic Blaze for a great resource and also for telling me I was being a bit of a whiney *expletive*. I don't think I expressed myself very well so sorry about that. You have inspired me to endeavour to get involved a bit more. I think the bit I worry about is not doing thing 'PROPERLY' and making schoolboy errors. Gotta just get over that I guess.

I do though think it's really important for Silverstripe to have some oft-requested modules such as this on-hand and, importantly, working - for newbies and those who, despite their best efforts, or lack of time aren't capable of making one themselves. If it's to grow as a CMS. I'm am certainly not looking at you, Optic Blaze, rather slightly blankly into the middle distance... :)

Optic Blaze

5 May 2014 at 9:08am

Good to hear MartinPhone.

Maybe we need to think of something a bit more structured....kindof like a clan within Silverstripe i.e a group of developers/designers that work together to not only help each other but to develop some open source modules for the SS community at large. You will find that most modules suffer from a lack of contributors, if we do it right then i think we can accomplish allot. I already know of a SS developer that i am friends with that will be keen.

If anyone else is interested in joining then you guys can inbox me at support at optic blaze dot co dot za. We will have to establish some rules...i dont want any freeloaders but people who are genuinely interested in being apart of something.

What do you think?

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

5 May 2014 at 1:43pm

Hi OpticBlaze, Sorry to report that I'm still having issues with this... I replaced my 'code' file with the one you uploaded last week and assigned permissions to my client. Initially all my gallery images disappeared but, logged in as my client, I was able to to re-link everything. The only aggravating thing left is that the pages are not invisible to public view (??!). Can you give me any pointers as to what might be going on?

MartinPhone

14 May 2014 at 1:25pm

Edited: 14/05/2014 1:33pm

Hey ArthurDent - I'm having the same issue with the galleries not being visible to the public too... did you fix this?!

EDIT:

I'm currently just commenting out this line... in GalleryPage.php as I can't think when you'd not want anyone to even see the thing?

function canView($Member = null){if(permission::check('VIEW_GALLERY')){return true;}else{return true;}}

Seems to work... ?!

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

14 May 2014 at 1:54pm

Hi MartinPhone. This missed the forum as Optic Blaze and I took out conversation offline while we sorted the problem but yes, the line you have indicated prevents the whole page form being visible to the public. Comment it out (or get rid of it) and all is well...

Assume you are using the latest builds of everything? Sounds as if you have it working now anyway!