Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

cwsoft-foldergallery - image gallery for SilverStripe 3

Go to End

87 Posts   30020 Views

cwsoft

Community Member, 57 Posts

9 October 2012 at 8:09am

Edited: 09/10/2012 8:52am

Hi,

>... i think this could be a ss3 problem with a lot of folders...
Of how many folders/images are we talking about on your system. So far I was not able to reproduce the error, so it´s hard to fix. Can you provide (limited) backend access to your domain so I can check whats going on (via PM)?

>If i generally look most people who shoot at for instance 10MP pictures wich will be large 2 - 5MB dont know how to resize so it would be a bit more professional to have it sesized on the server side.
Fully agree. My only concern is the PHP script excecution time and memory limit. Guess if you have lots (>50) of really big images (20..30 MB each), it will need quite a lot of page loads and time to create the thumbnails. Have you already used my module with lots of big sized images - if yes what´s your experience with thumbnail creation / page loads etc?

>For the download... Its not really important but somehow easy. I have it myself allready hardcoded in the .ss files.
Just curious. What method have you used to send the file to the browser (SS_HTTPRequest::send_file, HTML5 download or external scripts)?

Will think of adding those features with a the next release in case other users find this usefull as well.

Cheers

haantje72

Community Member, 69 Posts

9 October 2012 at 8:28am

Edited: 09/10/2012 8:34am

for the download i use external script download.php, put in the root folder, for just not opening the file but download it...

for the download in the .ss template i use:
<div class="photo">
<% loop $AlbumImages %>
<a href="$URL" rel="album" title="$Caption">
<% include CreateThumbnail %>

<a class="link" target="_blank" href="download.php?download_file=$URL">
<p style="font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px" />download $Caption</p></a>
</a>

<% end_loop %>
</div>

And of course i have made the spacing in the css-file more so the line can be under the picture

for the recalculation of the pictures ive never had any problems... first i worked on a nasserver with 1gb ram and 1.6 mobile processor... for picturefolders with more than 80 pictures on 18MP it got an timeout... below that count no problem... now i have a 3.2 quadcore with 2gb ram and starts to timeout with about 150 pictures.
Mostly it depends on the server it is on... webhosters usually have faster servers, so it would normally be no problem. When i have folders with 10MP pictures ive never ran into problems... I must say i know the first time takes more time to load so ive been every time loading myself the page first before anyone else did.

haantje72

9 October 2012 at 9:33am

maybe one more little thing to show... if a folder has subfolders nothing but a blank folder/gallerypicture is shown.
Maybe it could be with some text in it showed this gallery has ... subgalleries so the webuser knows it has some subgalleries.
As you can see on my site i'll try to have the max out of the albums and ordered it well 3 till 4 levels deep... in my case it may be extremely lot of pictures but i can think other site will use also 2 or 3 levels deep with less albums and pictures.

I have found out how to show how many pictures are in an album but have not yet found how to show how many albums are in an album!

cwsoft

9 October 2012 at 9:59am

Edited: 20/10/2012 10:03pm

@haantje72: Thanks for access to your backend.

Was able to reproduce the issue with the "Not found message" on your site. Will see how to fix it with the next release.

Will investigate the sitetree dropdown issue in combination with deeply nested albums this weekend. The download link feature is easy to implement (although I am not fully convinced of this feature). However making this feature configurable via "_config.php" may be fine. I do need to do some more testing on servers with lots of big images to find out the practical limits for thumbnail and preview image resizing on default servers before implementing this feature.

Anyway, thanks for your invested time and valuable feedback - highly appreciated.

Cheers

haantje72

9 October 2012 at 10:18am

Very much thanks for the help.

I know now you intended to have a gallery with 2 levels deep and not like i did with sometimes till 4 levels deep (as well in the files folder as in the gallerypage). Although its working (maybe tricky) i get it shown like i want it to so its possible this way and you can get an allmost unlimited foldergallery. On my old site i had the sidebar full with links to te gallerypages (about 90 links) wich was a mess. Like it is now its perfectly ordered and working well with over 15.000 pictures.
When i select the mainfolder, save it i can select the subfolder and save it again so my problem is somehow solved.

I think different views make a better program for muti-usability for all while still keeping it simple. It still stays your program and its your decision to update it with the new code or not. Im in advertisement and marketing and can only give some advise how to make it maybe more usable.

I appreciate the work you're doing and still love the gallery.

cwsoft

16 October 2012 at 7:19am

Edited: 16/10/2012 7:20am

Hi,

just released cwsoft-foldergallery v2.3.0 at GitHub.

Updates since last version:
- fixed deformed thumbnail images (thanks to Kereru for reporting)
- albums folders now have a icon and show number of sub-albums on hover (request by haantje72)
- implemented automatic resize of jQuery preview images (default: 800px, configure via _config.php)
- added option to display original image (unscaled) in new window from jQuery preview (request by haantje72)
- made thumbnail dimensions configurable via _config.php (default: 150 x 115 px)
- updated jQuery to 1.8.2

Further details and download via GitHub.
https://github.com/cwsoft/silverstripe-cwsoft-foldergallery#readme

Feedback welcome.

Cheers cwsoft

haantje72

16 October 2012 at 7:31am

Edited: 16/10/2012 7:42am

Great work and many thanks for the help... Its starting to look like an simple professional album and still easy to use for everyone.

Image resizing at load works great. Loading the first time takes some longer to load (because of resizing images 18MP) and the next times loading its really fast like it should be.
Showing that the folder has subalbums is also perfect.

I've mailed you the Dutch translation to implement.

just see that you didn't have an translation for full size -> Dutch -> Originele grootte

cwsoft

16 October 2012 at 7:43am

Edited: 16/10/2012 7:54am

Hi,

just released cwsoft-foldergallery v2.3.1 at GitHub.

Updates since last version:
- added Dutch language file provided by forum user haantje72 (thanks man)

Further details and download via GitHub.
https://github.com/cwsoft/silverstripe-cwsoft-foldergallery#readme

Feedback welcome.

Cheers cwsoft

@haantje72: Thanks for all your feedback and the good enhancement proposals (e.g. resized preview image creation, link to original image, extra cover image for sub-album) and your testing and last but not least the Dutch language file. Highly appreciated. Added a Credit section to the GitHub README.