Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Dashboard Module for SilverStripe 3

Go to End

12 Posts   4469 Views

purplespider

Community Member, 89 Posts

14 November 2012 at 12:52am

Edited: 14/11/2012 12:52am

I love this module thanks UC!

However it's missing one thing for me.

In order to keep SilverStripe's obviousness, it'd be great if it was possible to display the site tree sidebar on the dashboard page. Like this:

Is anyone able to advise how this can be achieved? I wouldn't think it should be too difficult as I presume the sidebar is quite modular.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

14 November 2012 at 8:18am

Haha.. that's funny you say that, because one of the primary reasons I built a dashboard for SS3 was to break away from the antiquated and annoying site tree paradigm! I was actually really disappointed to what a strong presence the site tree continues to play in SilverStripe 3. I can't stand that thing.

So needless to say, it's not something I'm going to add on my own, but if a pull request comes along, I'd certainly entertain making it an option. I think you're right that the site tree is modular. That was one of the primary goals of SS3 with respect to the JavaScript layer was to make all these widgets controller and template agnostic, so I'm sure it could be done easily.

Another idea would be to create a Site Tree dashboard panel that shows your entire tree, with some fancy AJAX behaviors for loading children like the site tree does now. I'd much rather do that, I think. Each panel is a full stack MVC, so all the tools are certainly there to do it.

Hmm... now I'm tempted to do it.

UC

purplespider

Community Member, 89 Posts

14 November 2012 at 9:18am

Edited: 14/11/2012 9:18am

Ah, ha. I thought that when I saw the "Back to Dashboad" button in the page list view, and wondered why there wasn't one for the tree view!

For my sites and clients, it's the site tree that makes SilverStripe for me. Works great for simple small business websites, helps keep things obvious and simple for my clients. But I agree when it comes to things like blogs & news sections, or more advanced sites, it's not quite right. Which is why I thought a combination of them both would be amazing!

If there is anyone with some knowledge in this area that is able to give it a shot, it'd be much appreciated!

Skaap

Community Member, 1 Post

6 November 2014 at 9:48pm

Hi UncleCheese this module is awesome but I'm having a problem, Will you be able to help me please.

I have 2 Custom Panels When you only add 1 of the panels on the dashboard it works perfectly you can filter results no problem but when you add both panels on the dashboard, when you filter the second panels results it updates the first panels results with the second panels data

Please help.

Go to Top