Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Private Messaging Module

34 Posts   4338 Views

Euphemismus

Community Member, 82 Posts

6 February 2010 at 11:22pm

Edited: 08/02/2010 5:14am

I've committed some more changes yesterday. I moved the request handling from separate method calls to a generic handler.
The deleting of messages if their attributes have "IsDeleted==1" is completed.
Also unread messages are highlighted now and you can "read" messages onClick.
One thing I haven't mananged to fix yet, is the refreshing of the right-sided menu. working on that ;-) I'm thinking about releasing this as a module, soon.
You can test the latest version on my testsite: [url=http://sstest.aschmann.org/guestboook/]Here[/url].
Credentials are test@aschmann.org:test

Euphemismus

6 April 2010 at 8:40am

Now, a few months later: I'm still working on it, got a bit caught up working on my guestbook module and the many 2.4 issues with my portal projekt.
Today I committed a lot of fixes but also some enhancements concerning the whole message handling underneath. If not using nicknames (forums module), you normally don't want name/last name etc. be shown. also there could be a lot of people having the same name...
fixed:

• many issues concerning 2.4 compatibility
  • bugs in message handling
  • display bugs

added:
  • ajaxLoading animation *g*
  • multiple receivers, comma separated
  • names will be displayed: name first letter of lastname (stripped email address, like me@xyz...) to have kind of unique usernames if not in "nickname" mode
  • made the "send message" form available in other modules. This means: You can call the form i.e. via jQuery.load() and give it a user ID as a param. The form will be displayed without "receiver" field, only subject and body. Could be usefull when using it in forums, for example.
  • added a text field in the backend where you can specify the sender address for email notifications sent to the user. If not set, 'noreply@' . $_SERVER[ 'HTTP_HOST' ] will be used.

I've built this module for my own portal project but if anyone is interested to join the development or in new features, please feel free ;-) Since the module is already submitted as a module-request to ss, I hope this will soon be accepted (waiting like 2 month now)

Regards,
Marc

monkee

Community Member, 21 Posts

6 May 2010 at 9:28pm

sounds like your module is exactly what i'm looking for...

Could you provide a download-link for the newest version?
Would love to test it, and will sure return patches when i find bugs...

Thanks a lot in advance

Euphemismus

6 May 2010 at 10:33pm

Hi monkee,

just get the latest version from svn:
http://aschmann.org/svn/mod_privatemessage/trunk/privatemessage/

I've added some [url=http://doc.silverstripe.org/modules:privatemessage]documentation[/url] when I checked it in with silverstripe as a module - but still no response ;-)
If you're interested in helping with the code/coding, I can give you svn access. I'd say: Write me a private message, but the forums are still missing that *cough*

Regards,
Marc

monkee

7 May 2010 at 12:59am

Edited: 07/05/2010 1:08am

Thanks a lot

have you seen this module back from 2008? http://www.silverstripe.org/private-messaging-module/ It implements basic private messaging... and works... (on 2.3.4)

Your's sounds more advanced and i start testing it. (you are developing on 2.4 right?)

Greetings from Switzerland

Manfred

Euphemismus

7 May 2010 at 1:19am

Edited: 07/05/2010 1:19am

Hi Manfred,

yes, that's the basic idea of the PM module - but since it was not developed any further, I built it all again from scratch :-)
The module *should* work on 2.4, buit I only tested/developed on rc2 with both, guestbook and privatemessage... But I think I fixed most problems.
If I find some time, I'll build a new version with full 2.4 support.

Regards from Germany,
Marc

monkee

7 May 2010 at 1:58am

hehe, i'm on 2.4rc1 ... Just saw that 2.4 final has been released already :-P

30mins later ...
after some quick testing everything works fine wit 2.4 Final...

so far... Great Module Marc!

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

7 May 2010 at 2:33am

I'll be releasing a full-featured, scalable messaging module very soon if you can wait a month or so. Just doing some alpha testing right now.