Thanks a lot for your documentation of your problems!
Is the only way to get subsites working, to create the system links you mentioned?
I tried to install subsites by placing the subsites folder in the SilverStripe root and flushing the database. The neccessary tables were created but the Subsites tab doesnÂ´t show up...
The subsites module is working right now - without setting symlinks. I just forgot to install the genericdataadmin module.
For everybody experiencing similar problems: HereÂ´s how I installed subsites.
1. Install SilverStripe 2.3.0-rc3 [url]http://www.silverstripe.org/assets/downloads/SilverStripe-v2.3.0-rc3.tar.gz[/url]
2. Install genericdataadmin module (Daily Build) by placing the folder "genericdataadmin" in the root folder of SilverStripe [url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:genericdataadmin[/url]
3. Rebuild database by calling http://localhost/silverstripe/db/build?flush=1
4. Install subsites module by placing the folder "subsites" in the root folder of SilverStripe ([url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:subsites[/url]). I downloaded the trunk version in the provided zip file.
5. Rebuild database by calling http://localhost/silverstripe/db/build?flush=1
6. Go to the admin area of Silverstripe and clear the cache by calling http://localhost/silverstripe/admin?flush=1
7. The "Subsites" tab appears in the admin area
Configuration of subsites As I wanted to use multiple domains with different pages, I configured subsites to allow setting up any domain, instead of just subdomains. To do this just enter the following code in the _config.php file of your sites folder.
I have tried installing subsites with the genericdataadmin module. when I try to access the site or run /db/build or /dev/build I get database errors regarding missing table for the sub-site.
[User Error] Couldn't run query: SELECT `Subsite`.*, `Subsite`.ID, if(`Subsite`.ClassName,`Subsite`.ClassName,'Subsite') AS RecordClassName FROM `Subsite` WHERE (`Subdomain` = 'kidsmusiccompany' AND `IsPublic` = 1) ORDER BY "Title" LIMIT 1 Table 'kidsmc_ss233.Subsite' doesn't exist
Line 401 in /home/kidsmc/domains/kidsmusiccompany.com/public_html/sapphire/core/model/MySQLDatabase.php
subsites trunk modules_subsites_trunk-r99005.zip
it looks like the necessary tables of the subsites module arenÂ´t installed.
Did you follow the steps i described in my previous post?
First install the genericdataadmin module
Then call http://yoursite.com/dev/build/?flush=1
Second install the subsites module
Then call http://yoursite.com/dev/build/?flush=1 again (This should give you some new tables called something with "Subsites")
The only other problem I could think of is that you copied the wrong subsites folder. As you are using a trunk version the folder structure should look something like this:
What you need to do is copy the "trunk" folder with all its contents to your webserver root and rename it to "subsites". Then rebuild your database.
I did install the module as per documentation and tried again like you suggested, i.e. genericdataadmin then db/build and then copied subsites to the server and ran db/build etc. but still get the errors.
The "trunk" folder was copied to the root of the site and renamed to subsites