Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

userForms v0.2.0-not working as per book

Go to End

8 Posts   1994 Views

kenlomax

Community Member, 33 Posts

12 November 2009 at 7:07pm

I am following the new book and on page 96 is tells how to install userforms. I followed this. Then on page 100 it tells how to set up the form for the Contact Us page. When I try to Add any field I get a saving message and then ... nothing. The book says, "the new control appears between the two input bars". I am not seeing anything anywhere!

Sometimes, I get a blank page with URL ...../admin/EditForm. But the whole page is blank.

Server: Fedora 11, Apache 2.2.13, PHP 5.2.9, mysql 5.1.37

SilverStripe v2.3.3, UserForms v0.2.0 (These downloded from website in this last week)

Client: IE8 on vista

Regards
Ken

kenlomax

13 November 2009 at 9:26am

Update:

It is always giving me the ..../EditForm blank page now. I have tried doing /admin?flush=1 as suggested elswhere, without success. Is it a permissions problem? Where should I start looking at the code to find the problem?

Regards
Ken

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 November 2009 at 3:12pm

Is your folder name exactly 'userforms' and not 'userforms-r81309'?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

13 November 2009 at 3:46pm

Will --

Just a quick note, here. I spend a lot of time supporting users who encounter problems with my modules due to this issue. In fact, it happened to me when I first tried out the UserForms module. Is there anything we can do to have the directory get set correctly? Is it really necessary to append the r123 to the filename? Most users do not think to rename the directory.

I'm thinking about adding a checkpoint in all of my modules to ensure the parent dir of the class is the correct name, but again, I wonder if this is something the framework should handle on its own.

kenlomax

13 November 2009 at 7:59pm

Hi Willr and UncleCheese

Thanks, changed folder name to "userforms". It was originally "userforms-v0.2.0". Havent fully checked it out, but I am getting a response much closer to that which I would expect, i.e. a control appears on the page.

I was following the new "SilverStripe The complete guide to CMS Development" book which I purchased from Fishpond and arrived early this week. On page 96 it says to follow the module installation procedure on page 58 (section 3.5.3).

The installation procedure (page 58) states" Installing both modules and widgets is fairly easy: just copy a new folder into your webroot and let SilverStripe do its magic" Unfortunately, in this case at least, SilverStripe does not do all of the magic required!.

I had also looked at the userforms README. There is just states, "Extract the userforms folder into the top level of your site and visit http://www.mysite.com/dev/build to rebuild the database."

Unfortunately, it is "little" errors like this that make learning something like SilverStripe very frustrating, almost to the point of once again giving up. (I previously tried a year ago, but due to lack of adequate documentation I gave up. I thought the book would make a difference. )

Can I suggest immediate solutions would to be to add to the README that the folder must be renamed, and correcting the book on its next reprint. (Is it in the errata website? I dont know as I didnt look.)

In the meantime, thanks very much for the assistance. Now I can carry on with my learning curve.

Regards
Ken

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 November 2009 at 9:13pm

ken - Yes the README has been updated already (will be included in the 0.3 release http://open.silverstripe.org/browser/modules/userforms/trunk/README and it is on the online docs but yes installing modules should be as straight forward as possible).

UncleCheese - Yes I will look into the svn package builder, sadly I think the version number may be something to do with the trac integration but yes the revision number is annoying and I would love to see it gone. Will make a note of it. Other solution is to have say a MODULENAME_DIR constant available for all the modules (like already with CMS_DIR) which module authors can use instead of hardcoding the path information.

kenlomax

13 November 2009 at 10:36pm

Thanks

Now got to the end of chapter 4 and all good.

Regards
Ken

michaelhmm

Community Member, 23 Posts

14 November 2009 at 12:02am

Thanks

This has enabled me to sort out an old user defined form on my site that was created with SS 2.2.2

The final step in upgrading was to do /admin?flush=1 as well since the cms display was nothing like it should have been.