Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

External Content and Alfresco Connector module released

Go to End

33 Posts   8725 Views

Marcus

Administrator, 89 Posts

17 November 2009 at 12:21pm

This is the first release of the External Content module, which provides a way of viewing content sourced from a remote system within SilverStripe. The key thing with the External Content module is that it makes content available within familiar SilverStripe mechanisms without actually importing any content across into SilverStripe itself (though there is some import functionality available).

As well as the base infrastructure for making everything connect together, there are 2 connectors being released for people to work with

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

17 November 2009 at 7:45pm

Hey this looks really nice.
I just skimmed through the tutorial, looks really interesting, well designed and extendable.

The most commonly accessed "external content" I read about here (in these forums) are probably RSS Feeds. A RSS Connector module could be a great addition, don't you think?

Congratulations for the release of the module. Way to go!

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

18 November 2009 at 1:28am

Wow great work Marcus. Hmmm I wonder if Sharepoint has a PHP API ;)

Marcus

Administrator, 89 Posts

18 November 2009 at 1:32am

I'm actually cleaning up the CMIS API at the moment to make it much more generic, with the idea that Sharepoint 2010 will provide a proper CMIS implementation, and that the rumours of a Sharepoint 2007 CMIS interface aren't just rumours.

The idea with the Alfresco connector had always been to build it first, then generalise it out to become a generic 'CMIS connector'. Some of those refactorings will make it into before the first release.

mark-e-mark

Community Member, 9 Posts

21 May 2010 at 7:16pm

Hi Marcus,

Can you confirm if this is working with 2.4.0??

I've installed the FileSystemConnector module and External Content module and am attempting to follow http://doc.silverstripe.org/module:external-content-quickstart

All works fine to a point - I get the appropriate menu option - however - when I attempt to 'Create' a new 'FileSystemContentSource', it simply redirects back to the 'Pages' tab in the CMS backend. Whenever I then try and access the 'External Content' tab, a blank page is displayed.

Looking at the MySQL tables, I can see that it attempted to write some values in table 'ExternalContentSource'.

If I delete this entry from the 'ExternalContentSource' table, I am then able to get back to the 'External Content' tab in the backend - however (obviously) - there is no connector created.

This could very easily be a problem on my end (some stupid error I've done when installing) - just checking to see that it definitely worked for you in 2.4.0.

Cheers.

mark-e-mark

Community Member, 9 Posts

21 May 2010 at 7:29pm

Update:

I found that if I used the module from github (http://github.com/nyeholt/silverstripe-external-content) rather than from silverstripe.org (http://www.silverstripe.org/external-content-module) that this problem is resolved.

Is it possible to update the silvestripe.org module page to reflect this update or provide a link to github to save others from this hassle?

Thanks for the module. I'm looking forward to digging into it and creating my custom connectors.

Marcus

Administrator, 89 Posts

21 May 2010 at 7:49pm

You beat me to the post.

I've just been going through the (not as quick as I hoped!) process to clean up modules for 2.4.0, and am hoping to get most of them stabilised and released this weekend. Part of that process is updating the modules pages, which should hopefully work a little better now that github has SVN access to its repositories.

Diego

Community Member, 5 Posts

25 May 2010 at 9:39am

Hi, I downloaded all 3 connectors from Git but I am unable to create an external connector in the admin. I click on the create button and nothing happens, also I don't see a "Go" button next to the combobox where it usually sits. Any help would be appreciated.

Go to Top