Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Member directory and user image folder

Go to End

3 Posts   1678 Views

bodsham

2 Posts

22 October 2007 at 11:50pm

Edited: 22/10/2007 11:51pm

We're a non profit with a public site that includes a membership directory of more than 600 people. Each needs to edit their own entry, preferably locked to a single directory for their images (since quite a lot find navigating directory structures difficult). Finally we currently assign a dedicated url to each entry (oursite.com/username for example). I've tried out Silverstripe and it looks great. But I can't see any way to achieve these essentials with it. Am I missing something please?

PS. While I managed to register for this forum without a problem I got a blank page after filling the reg form (current Firefox on a Mac).

trevor

53 Posts

23 October 2007 at 7:22am

hi,

we currently assign a dedicated url to each entry (oursite.com/username for example)

Each page can be assigned its own url if you manually add a page in the cms and look at the Meta-data tab you will see that it can be entered, as a default this is derived from the page name but can be programatically set. At the end you won't be adding manually but it will give you an idea of how it could work.

Each needs to edit their own entry,

I haven't done any userdefined forms as I have been able to use the standard facilities to achieve what I need but you can develop your own forms to achieve this and populate the database. look at the tutorial section on user defined forms and I'm sure others have done this so search in the forums.

As for your images again you can upload images and link this to a member or the id of the page in the db to achieve this.

I have only been using for just over a month and found I have been able to do most things I need so far and think the best thing is for you to start to develop your site so that you become more familiar with the framework and software when you will start to see how to solve your problems.

If you get stuck on a specific then post to the forum or go to the irc and ask, people are most friendly and helpful.

Good look with your project.

trevor

bodsham

2 Posts

23 October 2007 at 8:16am

Thanks. I think this may be a job we will have to put out to a commercial developer. I have logged interest with Silverstripe's services section. Having built the present site on an amateur basis I'd quite like the next one to be done properly.