Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Easy solution, I'm sure

Go to End

8 Posts   1931 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

30 October 2007 at 5:40am

Edited: 30/10/2007 5:41am

I have an Attorney Page that has a has_many relationship with Schools. The user adds schools to an attorney through a TableField. In order to tie specific schools to one attorney, I've used the setExtraData() method to put 'AttorneyPageID => $this->ID' on the table.

This works great until I add a new attorney, and I get a SQL error! The $this->ID is of course returning a junk ID... something like "new-attorney-page-id," or something to that effect, and now my filter is erroneous.. e.g. "WHERE AttorneyPageID ='new-attorney-page-id' "..

So i hacked something:

function getTheID() {
return (is_integer($this->ID)) ? $this->ID : 9999;
}

But of course this wont' work in the long run... please help!!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 October 2007 at 8:48pm

perhaps I didnt quite understand correctly but on the school class you need to make sure you have a $has_one attorney. Anything like $has_many, $many_many the child class's need the relationship as well so $has_one, $belongs_many_many etc

UncleCheese

31 October 2007 at 3:09am

I do have that relationship set up correctly. Let me be more specific. Here's the error:

Error: DATABASE ERROR: Couldn't run query: SELECT `Education`.*, `Education`.ID, if(`Education`.ClassName,`Education`.ClassName,'Education') AS RecordClassName, School_Name FROM `Education` WHERE (Education.AttorneyPageID = new-AttorneyPage-24-1) | Unknown column 'new' in 'where clause'
At line 386 in /home/virtual/bpflegal.com/httpdocs/sapphire/core/model/Database.php

As you can see, it's trying to run a WHERE clase on the invalid id "new-AttorneyPage-24-1"

Here's the table that's running that query:

$EducationField = new TableField(
'Education',
'Education',
array(
'School_Name' => 'School Name'
),
array(
'School_Name' => 'TextField'
),
null,
"Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID
);

The filter "Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID is not returning a valid ID when the page is new.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

31 October 2007 at 7:33pm

Edited: 31/10/2007 7:38pm

That's because the given page doesn't have an ID until it's first saved. You could probably optionally include the last parameter like this, so it safely passes null where $this->ID that isn't a number.

if(is_numeric($this->ID)) {
   $filter = "Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID;
} else {
   $filter = null;
}

Then, include $filter as the sixth parameter for your TableField object.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Sean

UncleCheese

1 November 2007 at 5:33am

Right, but the problem with that is that now when I create a new attorney, I go to add schools and I get a comprehensive list of every school that has ever been entered for an attorney, because the list isn't filtered. When I add a new attorney, I want the list of schools to be blank to start.

This has to be a common issue. I'm really confused, here.

UncleCheese

6 November 2007 at 3:44am

Any other thoughts on this? I really feel like I'm missing something. It's too simple a problem to not have an answer.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

6 November 2007 at 8:56am

I'm not sure - when a page isn't saved there's certain things you can't do.

Anyone else have any clues?

Sean

UncleCheese

6 November 2007 at 9:58am

The ID before the page is saved is "new-AttorneyPage-24-1"... This leads me to believe that it has hit the DB to get the insertion ID of 24.. Not sure what the 1 is for, but could I somehow parse out this string to get just the 24 and use that as the ID?