Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Easy solution, I'm sure

8 Posts   1676 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

30 October 2007 at 5:40am

Edited: 30/10/2007 5:41am

I have an Attorney Page that has a has_many relationship with Schools. The user adds schools to an attorney through a TableField. In order to tie specific schools to one attorney, I've used the setExtraData() method to put 'AttorneyPageID => $this->ID' on the table.

This works great until I add a new attorney, and I get a SQL error! The $this->ID is of course returning a junk ID... something like "new-attorney-page-id," or something to that effect, and now my filter is erroneous.. e.g. "WHERE AttorneyPageID ='new-attorney-page-id' "..

So i hacked something:

function getTheID() {
      return (is_integer($this->ID)) ? $this->ID : 9999;
   }

But of course this wont' work in the long run... please help!!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

30 October 2007 at 8:48pm

perhaps I didnt quite understand correctly but on the school class you need to make sure you have a $has_one attorney. Anything like $has_many, $many_many the child class's need the relationship as well so $has_one, $belongs_many_many etc

UncleCheese

31 October 2007 at 3:09am

I do have that relationship set up correctly. Let me be more specific. Here's the error:

Error: DATABASE ERROR: Couldn't run query: SELECT `Education`.*, `Education`.ID, if(`Education`.ClassName,`Education`.ClassName,'Education') AS RecordClassName, School_Name FROM `Education` WHERE (Education.AttorneyPageID = new-AttorneyPage-24-1) | Unknown column 'new' in 'where clause'
At line 386 in /home/virtual/bpflegal.com/httpdocs/sapphire/core/model/Database.php

As you can see, it's trying to run a WHERE clase on the invalid id "new-AttorneyPage-24-1"

Here's the table that's running that query:

$EducationField = new TableField(
'Education',
'Education',
array(
    'School_Name' => 'School Name'
),
array(
    'School_Name' => 'TextField'
),
null,
      "Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID
);

The filter "Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID is not returning a valid ID when the page is new.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

31 October 2007 at 7:33pm

Edited: 31/10/2007 7:38pm

That's because the given page doesn't have an ID until it's first saved. You could probably optionally include the last parameter like this, so it safely passes null where $this->ID that isn't a number.

if(is_numeric($this->ID)) {
$filter = "Education.AttorneyPageID = " . $this->ID;
} else {
$filter = null;
}

Then, include $filter as the sixth parameter for your TableField object.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Sean

UncleCheese

1 November 2007 at 5:33am

Right, but the problem with that is that now when I create a new attorney, I go to add schools and I get a comprehensive list of every school that has ever been entered for an attorney, because the list isn't filtered. When I add a new attorney, I want the list of schools to be blank to start.

This has to be a common issue. I'm really confused, here.

UncleCheese

6 November 2007 at 3:44am

Any other thoughts on this? I really feel like I'm missing something. It's too simple a problem to not have an answer.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

6 November 2007 at 8:56am

I'm not sure - when a page isn't saved there's certain things you can't do.

Anyone else have any clues?

Sean

UncleCheese

6 November 2007 at 9:58am

The ID before the page is saved is "new-AttorneyPage-24-1"... This leads me to believe that it has hit the DB to get the insertion ID of 24.. Not sure what the 1 is for, but could I somehow parse out this string to get just the 24 and use that as the ID?