Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

External Authenticator

53 Posts   63615 Views

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

6 November 2007 at 8:14pm

I think that we want the authentication mechanisms to be add-on modules and keep the core pretty lean. For instance, we will be moving the OpenID authentication mechanism into an add-on module.

However, exactly what is in the module might change over time :-)

lancer

57 Posts

6 November 2007 at 8:47pm

Write me up then......

Markus

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 152 Posts

6 November 2007 at 10:56pm

@Sam: Did you talk with Sigurd about moving OpenID into an add-on module? We could get 5,000$ if it is in the core (I talked with Sigurd about that -> [url]http://openid.net/foundation/bounty/[/url]).

"Distribute the implementation as part of the project’s core (it cannot be an additional download or patch)."

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

7 November 2007 at 9:49am

I don't see it as a problem however, if we include it as a module in the default distribution.

e.g

sapphire,
cms
jsparty
mysite
modules
- auth_openid

Ideas?

Sean

Markus

7 November 2007 at 10:01am

Should be OK if it's distributed with the default distribution - that's the core in my opinion.

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

7 November 2007 at 10:16am

We could have a checkbox, "include open-id", in the installer, which would disable/enable the module.

Markus

7 November 2007 at 10:20am

Great idea Sam! But I would name it "Enable OpenID" since it's always included.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

7 November 2007 at 10:22am

Ok. I would have it ticked by default.

The whole point is to reward projects that are increasing OpenID adoption, which for the record, I think increasing OpenID is a very good thing. Its a good technology but its heavily dependant on adoption for it to be useful, and we can feel good by being a part of the process.