Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

problem creating subtemplate

4 Posts   2987 Views

lusiton

13 Posts

10 November 2007 at 1:48am

Hi. I downloaded SS and I love it. It works great. I'm trying to learn more tricks and here is one I have problem with.
I read the tutorial on creating a sub templates. I tried to follow it but no luck. I understand the concept but can't make it work. What I need is a template for my event page so it will show the instances of my events from the event section. My be up to 10 latest events. I can do it with includes on my main template but then it appears on all pages. Thank you in advance.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

10 November 2007 at 2:14am

Edited: 10/11/2007 2:15am

Hi there,

What you need is a specific page type for your event pages - for example, EventPage. Once you have an EventPage.php file inside mysite/code with a structure like this:

class EventPage extends Page {

}

class EventPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

}

...And then run db/build?flush=1 then the EventPage page type will be available to you via a dropdown in the CMS when you click the 'Create' button.

If you want this EventPage to have it's own specific sub-template, then you create EventPage.ss inside templates/Layout/ - also remember to place ?flush=1 at the end of the URL once you've added a template because SilverStripe doesn't automatically know when you've added new templates/code.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Sean

lusiton

13 Posts

10 November 2007 at 3:52am

Edited: 10/11/2007 2:39pm

Hi Sean. Thank you for responding to my post.

Thanks to you I successfully created an events page however I'm not sure how to make the includes and controls to work on it. For instance I have this code on my other pages:

<% include Blog %>

and this

<div id="rightSecHead_"><h1>Blog</h1></div>
<div id="rightSecContent_">
<% control ChildrenOf(blog) %>
<h2>$Title</h2>
<p>$Content.LimitWordCount(10)
<a href="$Link"> more </a></p>
<% end_control %>

I included the above code in the template but no effect.

Also I don't see my new page in the drop down list of content pages. I tried to ?flush=1 many times but it does not seem to take an effect. Also page does not have any of the meta tags that are generated by $MetaTags. It seems like I'm in the wrong directory. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

17 November 2007 at 2:30pm

Edited: 17/11/2007 2:37pm

Here's a quick checklist for creating new page-types:

1. Create EventPage.php in mysite/code

2. Ensure EventPage.php has the following structure:

[code php]
class EventPage extends Page {

}
class EventPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

}

3. Add db/build?flush=1 to the end of your URL, for example: mysite.com/db/build?flush=1. This is required to be run first before you can see an EventPage in the dropdown for creating a new page, or changing the current page-type of an existing one.

4. If you need a specific template for EventPage other than Page.ss, create a new sub-template for the EventPage class called EventPage.ss in mysite/templates/Layout/. You also need to add ?flush=1 to the end of the URL so SilverStripe picks up your new template.

Hope this helps!

Sean