Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

generate tables in template

7 Posts   2521 Views

Bas

Community Member, 2 Posts

14 November 2007 at 8:11pm

Hello everybody,

I'm still quite new to Silverstripe - But am quite enthusiastic about it.

I have one question. Imagine i have something similar to the newssection as created in the tutorial, but now I want to show it in a table.
So instead of all items being iterated, and show below each other, i want to create table cells. And that's easy, but i can't find how to automatically insert a new table row after let's say each 3 cells.

Below I have the control code from the template. And this is working, except I need to generate every 3 <td></td> and additional </tr><tr>.

<table>
   <tr>
<% control Children %>
    <td>
         <p>$Pos - $Title</p>
         <p>$Iterator</p>
         <embed src="$URL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="200" height="173" allowFullScreen="true"></embed><br />
         <% if NewRow %>
             <p>tsja - en nu is newrow true</p>
          <% else %>
             <p>tsja - en nu is newrow false</p>
         <% end_if %>

</td>

<% end_control %>
   </tr>
   </table>

hope someone can give me some help
Thanks
Bas

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

25 November 2007 at 12:17pm

Edited: 25/11/2007 12:18pm

Can you not move the <tr> and </tr> elements inside the <% control Children %> block?

Oh, but then each child would have a <tr>... Hmm, you'll probably need a custom method to generate this table for you.

Sean

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

25 November 2007 at 4:15pm

any reason why you need to use a table? Couldn't you still use a list, Give the unordered list a width, Give each list item a width (1/3 of the ul) , float the list items. Hopefully then you will have 3 columns and no need for a custom method to generate the table which could be interesting to achieve.

Sean

25 November 2007 at 10:53pm

Quite true. Tables are a pain to style as well, especially adding borders to <tr> which is inconsistent across browsers.

Sean

Bas

Community Member, 2 Posts

26 November 2007 at 10:38am

thanks for the input
I can try to do it with the ul
But i'm also really curious how i can do something like that. I was thinking that i can maybe make a function in the controller to give me a row of 3 every time - but even then it's hard to get it working good - including pagination.

For now i've solved it by just having one column -but for another part i will need to be able to do this.
Isnt there a way i can just call a procedure - that i would put in the controller - and that would create the html in php - and then return the whole table (that i'd create in the php).
The next question then would be, how can i do pagination.

a second question - i've implemented pagination - but how can i jsut chagne the number of items on a page?

thanks very much
Bas Smit

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

26 November 2007 at 9:42pm

you can change the amount of items per page with the 5th argument for the DataObject::get call so for pagination if you read this page - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=private:recipes:pagination you can see the DataObject request is

$doSet = DataObject::get(
$callerClass = "ArticlePage",
$filter = "`ParentID` = '".$this->ID."'",
$sort = "",
$join = "",
$limit = "{$_GET['start']},2"
);

The last one is the value you will need to edit.

Sean

27 November 2007 at 12:12pm

Edited: 27/11/2007 12:13pm

Instead of using <% control Children %> you could implement your own method like <% control ChildrenWithLimit %> which may look something like this in your Page.php file:

Note: This goes in the Page_Controller class:

function ChildrenWithLimit() {
$start = $_GET['start'] ? (int)$_GET['start'] : 0;
$limit = "$start,5";
if($childPages = DataObject::get('Page', "ParentID = $this->ID", '', '', $limit)) {
return $childPages;
}
}

Just change the 5 to how many results you want per page.

Then, you're able to use the pagination abilities as outlined at the bottom of this wiki page:
[url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=built-in-page-controls[/url].

An actual example of how pagination is implemented is the tutorial 4 - search results: [url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:4-site-search[/url]. If you look at the Page_results.ss template in the tutorial, it has the necessary template controls.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Sean