Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

New Module for pages with embedded YouTube video

Go to End

3 Posts   2116 Views

orientel

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 November 2007 at 1:17pm

Edited: 28/11/2007 1:49pm

I'm trying to learn SilverStripe and I created a simple module to include an embedded youtube video in a page from CMS.

It works quite correctly, the only "bug" is that if a parameter (Border) has zero value it is not considered. Did I use a wrong data type? I tried varchar, text, int and if border is not zero (e.g. "Border=1") it works, if Border is equal to 0 not (it becomes "Border="):

class YouTubeVideo extends Page {

static $db = array(
   	"Video" => "Varchar",
   	"Color1" => "Varchar",
   	"Color2" => "Varchar",
   	"Border" => "Varchar",
   	"Wmode" => "Varchar",
   	"Width" => "Varchar",
   	"Height" => "Varchar"
   );

function getCMSFields($cms) {
      $fields = parent::getCMSFields($cms);
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Video","YouTube Video ID"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Color1","Color 1", "0xd6d6d6"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Color2","Color 2", "0xf0f0f0"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Border","Border", "0"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Wmode","Wmode", "transparent"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Width","Width", "425"));
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Height","Height", "355"));
      return $fields;
   }

}

class YouTubeVideo_Controller extends Page_Controller {

function Content(){
			return $this->Content.$this->EmbeddedVideo();
   }

function EmbeddedVideo(){
		global $YouTubeUrl;

$video = '<object width="'.$this->Width.'" height="'.$this->Height.'"><param name="movie" value="'.$YouTubeUrl.$this->Video.'&rel=1&color1='.$this->Color1.'&color2='.$this->Color1.'&border='.$this->Border.'"></param><param name="wmode" value="'.$this->Wmode.'"></param><embed src="'.$YouTubeUrl.$this->Video.'&rel=1&color1='.$this->Color1.'&color2='.$this->Color2.'border='.$this->Border.'" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="'.$this->Wmode.'" width="'.$this->Width.'" height="'.$this->Height.'"></embed></object>';

return $video;
   }

}

Download module (save target as...)

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

28 November 2007 at 5:57pm

Edited: 28/11/2007 6:04pm

Hi there,

Nice work!

You could probably do something like this on the Page class:

function Border() {
   if($this->Border) {
      return $this->Border;
   } else {
      return '0';
   }
}

Calls to $this->Border can then be replaced with $this->Border()

0 isn't output, because if it's 0 it's null. So, I guess you have to explicitly pass the 0 on as a string instead.

The data type for Border should probably be 'Boolean', since it's only 1 or 0 correct? If that's also the case, you could use the field NumericField instead of TextField in getCMSFields() (so you can't input anything apart from a number). One of the arguments to NumericField also allows you to limit the characters for that field with maxlength, so if it's a boolean you can't input anything more than 1 character.

Cheers,
Sean

orientel

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 November 2007 at 10:47am

Thanks... it's strange for me that zero character is considered a null value in a Varchar or Text data field, however I understood the point (solution was simpler than expected).

I fixed and updated my module and it's working fine now (same url of first post, now also autoplay parameter is managed).

Thanks again for answer, bye!