Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Not ready for prime time, sorry

Go to End

9 Posts   5368 Views

ygg

Community Member, 1 Post

4 March 2007 at 12:20pm

Edited: 04/03/2007 12:20pm

The demo looks reasonably good (usability still a little on the funky side), but I'm thwarted at every step of the install. I've done this a LOT of time with a LOT of systems, and when I encounter this number of problems before I've even gotten the system loaded, I give up.

The permissions setup is abhorrent. As noted above, I've installed a lot of these systems, and under no circumstances was I asked to be as liberal with my file permissions as SS wants. Chmod the *entire* installation directory?! Ludicrous.

The permissions then create files that I cannot delete in the "assets" directory without suing to root.

After installation, I got this message: "Not Found - The requested URL /silverstripe/home/successfullyinstalled was not found on this server." The hilarity.

SERIOUSLY need to a., have a basic "install" readme and section in the documentation - I don't want a bleeding tutorial about setting up a basic site, I want to know what's going to occur and be requested of me when I attempt to install., b., link the documentation from EVERYWHERE (I had to search to find it) and c., improve the documentation in general dramatically.

I'm sure you guys have got some good stuff going here, but there's no way that I - let *alone* a less experienced user - am going to fight through the immediate issues to encounter what will likely be another pile of issues - if you can't get the first five minutes right, I have no faith that you'll get the subsequent five minutes, five days, or five months of usage right.

good luck, but don't call this thing stable yet!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 March 2007 at 9:18pm

"but there's no way that I - let *alone* a less experienced user - am going to fight through the immediate issues to encounter what will likely be another pile of issues"

Im sorry that you are having such issues with the system. I have installed Silverstripe on my machines and clients have installed it fine.

What is your current server setup like?? I find it kind of weird that this installation has been so troubling for you as like I said we have tested the system on a few different servers and they all seem to work like cake.

I would try redownloading the files and start again. You may of got a corrupted download or something.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

5 March 2007 at 11:19am

From the sounds of things, ygg, you haven't got mod_rewrite installed or AllowOverride all set up. This has been the cause of other people's 404-on-load errors.

Your comments about the permissions are valid; this is the first criticism we've had of it, but we could probably be a lot more conservative in our choice of permissions. We'll have a look at this for version 2.1, due in April.

You're also correct about including an install readme in the archive itself.

Thanks for all your feedback, ygg; part of the reason that we open-sourced our CMS was so that we could get critical feedback such as this from a variety of perspectives. If you'd like to know when version 2.1 is released, you might like to subscribe to our blog.

julian

Community Member, 17 Posts

5 March 2007 at 4:58pm

As a counter to ygg, I got the whole thing up and running in minutes (admittedly the windows installer does not work and I just used the PHP version with XAMPP -- complains about SSLEAY.DLL missing) and, after the great tutorials, started writing custom pages for my app in a few hours. I thought the installation process with its checklist was very clear -- at installation I had to up my PHP memory footprint and enable mod_rewrite.so; everything went swimmingly after that.

I've been looking for a system that does what SS does for about 6 months and was resigned to using Joomla + Jreviews (custom fields extension) which was just going to be a frigging misery. SS's ability to do full customisable data models lends it to more general apps very easy. A total dream! The SS guys are clearly very experienced with CMS needs. I can see an obvious extension for SS 3.0 is an admin for visually constructing the data objects but I'm quite happy to hack with PHP classes for now!

(FYI I'm not affiliated in any way with Silverstripe but as a coincidence I was born and grew up in Wellington -- go kiwis!)

LaneLester

Community Member, 3 Posts

21 April 2007 at 1:12am

Edited: 21/04/2007 1:16am

I was looking forward to checking SS out, but I may have to pass as well as ygg. My server allows a max of 755.

I also found it a concern that a user on this forum asked about permissions back in February, and his question has gone unanswered... and now it's April. I've found that most complex systems require good forum support for me to succeed. I also note with dismay that there seems to be no email notification option for forum replies. I need that for efficient dealing with forums and the rest of my life.

Lane

nate

Community Member, 2 Posts

21 April 2007 at 3:40am

While I agree there is some weirdness, I did manage to get SS working on Feisty without issue. Getting it going on my Mac was another story altogether.

Here is my shameless plug for my blog entry on installing SS on Feisty server:
http://www.saynotomilk.com/archives/24

BTW, I have no ads, so I gain nothing but the satisfaction of helping my fellow man from you going to my blog.

If you see anything wrong with my instructions or a way to make it more secure, please let me know.

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

21 April 2007 at 1:14pm

Edited: 21/04/2007 4:58pm

Hi LaneLester.

Thanks for your feed back; can you please confirm my understand of whats important to you;

1) As ygg as pointed out, the permissions requirements are too liberal, and this is specifically causing you a problem your server as you can't go over 755

2) Having the ability to 'monitor' posts by email (ie you get sent an email when there are replies on a thread you've started/participated in), is important.

3) You require support beyond what is currently offered in the forums.

These are all good points.

1) We are aware of this and are currently working on it - some major strives have been made in this area since Ygg made his original post.

2) We have this functionality now, we just need to implement it - I agree alot of people would find this useful, so we will make this a priority (you can expect this in 2-3 weeks).

3) With support, you do have the option of commercial support, directly from our core development team, feel free to contact me if you are interested in this.

LaneLester

Community Member, 3 Posts

21 April 2007 at 11:36pm

Thanks for your thorough reply, Tim. You've summarized my concerns very well.

1) You mentioned improvements since ygg's post; is it now possible to run SS with permissions no higher than 755?

2) Excellent.

3) I understand and approve people's wanting to make money from their efforts. Regretfully, I'm not making any money (yet), so paid support is not an option for me.

I'm currently using WebAPP for my CMS needs, but I'm always interested in finding something better for particular applications.

Lane

Go to Top