Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Upgrade and htaccess

Go to End

5 Posts   2694 Views

tracerround

3 Posts

4 December 2007 at 6:41pm

I upgraded from v2.1 to v2.2. My upgrade did not go as outlined in the docs. The v2.1 was in a directory called silverstripe (public_html/silverstripe/) and I had a non-ss website in the home directory. I removed the old non-ss site and uploaded a fresh download of v2.2 to the home directory (public_html/). I copied and overwritten all the folders except for cms, sapphire and jsparty. When I went to the main page, it gave me the install screen. I tried accessing www.mysite.com/db/build?flush=1 and I got Page not found. After repeating the process again, still same message. So I entered the exisiting database info into the install screen on the main site and installed v2.2. The site works and the new version is showing along with my template and such from the v2.1 site. After testing everything out, all works as desired except for one BIG thing.

My subdomains do not work anymore. I have an instance of Roundcube installed in /public_html/webmail/ and when I go to webmail.mysite.com it says /public_html/sapphire/main.php can not be found. There is no reason for Roundcube to want that file (and the file is there).

My .htaccess makes a call to that file so I think it maybe something to do with permissions. I remove the SS stuff out of my .htaccess from my home directory and my Roundcube and other subdaomins work again but now my site does not.

I have to have both and it seems that my home directory .htaccess file is blocking all the directories but the ones SS uses. How do I fix this?????

Thank you for the help.

Design City

38 Posts

4 December 2007 at 8:22pm

Edited: 04/12/2007 8:25pm

This is a mod_rewrite issue. The default .htaccess file looks like this:

### SILVERSTRIPE START ###
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.gif)|(\.jpg)|(\.png)|(\.css)|(\.js)|(\.php)$ 
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]
### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

That last line redirects all files to saphire/main.php with the file you were looking for appended as a query string. What you need to to is exclude a directory from the rewrite, like so:

RewriteEngine On

# Exclude Directories from mod_rewrite
RewriteRule ^(excludedir1¦excludedir2¦excludedir3) - [L]

### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

Obviously change excludedir1 (etc) to the name of the directory you want to exclude from mod_rewrite (in your case this would be "webmail"), and it should stop SS taking over the directory.

And finally some keywords for anyone searching a solution to the same issue:
access sub-directories, sub-directory, block directory, block other directories, htaccess, .htaccess, mod_rewrite, allow directory.

tracerround

3 Posts

5 December 2007 at 7:41am

Thank you for the help. I knew it had to do with the htaccess file but I did not know how to exclude the directories.

I tried your fix and it breaks my entire site. Pretty much removes all of the templates and all you see is the site in text. As a temp fix, I have been redirecting my site to the subdirectory /silverstripe/ and it was working until I uploaded the new .htaccess file. Now for some reason it wont keep the redirect (not sure if that would be a different cause. I do use a subdirectory /cpanel/ to access cPanel).

This is what I have in my .htaccess file:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
SecFilterEngine off
RewriteEngine On

# Exclude Directories from mod_rewrite
RewriteRule ^(webmail) - [L]

### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

I have been putting # in front of RewriteRule ^(webmail) - [L] to make the site look correct and not text.

tracerround

3 Posts

5 December 2007 at 9:05am

Thanks to the help of jam13 on the IRC channel, we got it working. I needed to move the RewriteRule up higher in the .htaccess file.

This works for me:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(webmail|fts) - [L]
### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

This stops the .htaccess file from pushing the /webmail/ and /fts/ directories from looking for the /sapphire/main.php files to function.

Thanks again for your help jam13 and DesignCity.

Design City

38 Posts

5 December 2007 at 12:54pm

Great that you got it working. :) The solution I presented above worked when I tested it on a couple of my sites, so I find it bizarre that it didn't work on yours! Mod_rewrite is a strange beast - I don't think there are many people about who truely understand all the little quirks with it!