Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Database querys and OOP

3 Posts   1224 Views

frankibodo

Community Member, 1 Post

6 December 2007 at 11:53pm

Hello

I have trouble getting my head around classes and so on. I want to have a page where I can query the database for a table (installed from outside SS). I have set up a ProductPage.php, ProductHolder.php, but I have no idea how to connect to the databse through SS, and how to actually query?????

Please help me!!

As of now I have this error and I have not even tryed to query anything..:(

Fatal error: Call to a member function XML_val() on a non-object in /tmp/silverstripe-cache-home-forbrsut-public_html-silverbullet/.cache.home.forbrsut.public_html.silverbullet.tutorial.templates.Layout.ProductHolder.ss on line 84

OzziNL

Community Member, 37 Posts

7 December 2007 at 11:26pm

No ideas for this one? I do want something similar...

But I was looking in this forum before trying, so if I find out how...I'll post it.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 787 Posts

8 December 2007 at 4:28am

In order to create stuff with SS , it's handy to have a basic grasp of Object Oriented design (inheritance and data encapsulation being the most important subjects).

Basically, you have to create "data-object" classes which map 1-1 on your database-tables (1 class for every table). You don't access the database directly through queries : the data-objects "encapsulate" the interaction with the DB (they take care of that themselves).

If you want to use an external data-source or a different table , you probably need to peruse the docs Data-Object classes in the docs.

Good luck !