Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Comments - additions and spam protection

Go to End

12 Posts   5240 Views

PlanHQ

Community Member, 3 Posts

14 March 2007 at 1:51pm

*Spam Protection - Human Verification*
Have you thought about or do you have any spam protection on comments?

I've noticed one of our posts got over 600 spam comments, and a post on the new PlanHQ.com site has just got its first spam.

Requiring one of those human verification codes when you post would be great.

* Other*
* Add a link: So that the commentor name points back to the website in the link field, geat for google and linking together the blogosphere conversations
* Add new comment: This should go below the existing discussion to encourage people to read the discussion first then make their coment

cheers,

Tim.

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

14 March 2007 at 4:23pm

There is some code to link into Kismet, but I think an account needs to be set up on a site by site basis.

Whoever it was who made this feature, can they post some instructions?

Andy

230 Posts

14 March 2007 at 4:36pm

You can set up spam filtering for comments using Akismet. See:

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=ssakismet

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

15 March 2007 at 9:33pm

You can see akismet in action at http://demo.silverstripe.com/blog

Decisive Flow

Community Member, 73 Posts

16 March 2007 at 8:56am

Thanks for the link. If it wold be possible, could you make the documentation a little more detailed. I have no idea where in the config file to put the code, or where the config file is ( I assume it is the one under CMS)?

I have put my code in as follows (obviously substituting 'key' for our key):

));

SSAkismet::setAPIKey('key');
   SSAkismet::setSaveSpam(true);

?>

it doesn't seem to do anything when I add ?showspam=1 to either the end of the blog url or our main site url. Now I'm confused... Is there another step?

Decisive Flow

Community Member, 73 Posts

27 March 2007 at 5:19pm

This is quite urgent as we have 900 or so spam comments and it's spiraling out of control. It looks like a simple fix, it just doesn't seem to do anything!

Tim

Core Development Team, 201 Posts

27 March 2007 at 6:30pm

Edited: 27/03/2007 9:33pm

Hi Natalie

There are no 'quick fixes' for this. Even with the Akismet spam protection on our site, we are getting a good 20 - 30 spams a day which I delete several times a day.

We are going to need to introduce some sort of 'human verification' steps to prevent this.

In the mean time, I'd suggest you simply disable page comments (I've done this on a number of our heavily spammed pages)

Andy

230 Posts

27 March 2007 at 7:36pm

The config file mentioned is the _config.php in your project specific folder. Sorry for any ambiguity.

Go to Top