Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Maori theme development - Need your opinion!

17 Posts   14576 Views

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

20 December 2007 at 9:01am

Edited: 20/12/2007 9:03am

Certainly improving.

<feedback class="NonDesignerAttemptingDesignFeedback">

1. I think the Kiwi, at least in the way it is used here is a little cheesy.
2. I wonder if you softened the contrast of the black text on white background, it would be improved. E.g. a dark brown on a light brown. Perhaps the background could come through as a watermark, or something.
3. Can you make the pattern in the header match the pattern in the background? I.e. so that it makes it look like the pattern is all the same, but just turns brown in one section?
4. The big white area feels like it missing a border or some other flair?
5. Add a footer.
6. In your text, add a "Heading 2" and "heading 3" and a link and style these, as these will be needed in the overall theme :)

So, if someone else can translate my broadstroke ideas into design direction with finesse, that'd be cool :P

</feedback>

Sigurd

20 December 2007 at 4:27pm

Here's an example of making elements of a page ornamental. This means you don't have to have the burden of all design acting on the overall page, but that even the lowly form is supporting the aesthetic.

From http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/ensuring-your-html-emails-look-great-and-get-delivered

joaopauloreisalves

Community Member, 16 Posts

21 December 2007 at 5:35am

I've made a revision and I believe this is a much better version compared the last one. Tell me what you think. :)

[URL=http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/32/fourthmockupzz7.jpg][/URL]

Sigurd

21 December 2007 at 9:35am

Each iteration is certainly improving :)

I think the pattern behind the right side of the green panel still needs to either be blank, or expose the other pattern through it :)

Add a 'selected' state to the menu down the side so that we know what that would look like.

Can someone offer perhaps a good name or subtitle for the heading, even something in Māori?

joaopauloreisalves

Community Member, 16 Posts

21 December 2007 at 10:27am

I've edited the sub menu to show an active state, strengthened a tiny bit the background patterns and removed the pattern from the top.

Tell me what you think.

[URL=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9113/fifthmockupvs0.jpg][/URL]

Sigurd

21 December 2007 at 10:59am

Much nicer.

I'm wondering if the subheadings in the text should be the same darkish green of the top green belt at the top so that it ties more strongly together?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

21 December 2007 at 11:09am

I like the korus in the second level navigation, they add a nice touch. Maybe make the korus in the heading on the sidebar a tad lighter so you can read the text easier

DaveP

Community Member, 48 Posts

21 December 2007 at 11:25am

Looking good....

Would like to see a live version to check out - images are never quite the same !

Also I'm wondering if the two patterns that angle down each side are a bit strong - maybe make them blend into the background a bit lighter...

regards, Dave Porter