Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

simple table question: help appreciated!

Go to End

7 Posts   3113 Views

vcmusic42

Community Member, 22 Posts

26 December 2007 at 8:59am

Edited: 26/12/2007 9:01am

I'm sure this is a simple question for the PHP/SS experts out there, but I'm stuck. I've worked through the dataobject tutorial, but all I really need is to display a simple table. In this case, it's a list of musical selections, so the headings are 'composer,' 'title,' and 'role.'

I set everything up as specified at the beginning of the tutorial, but I can only get ONE entry (row, whatever you want to call it) to display. I don't know whether this is because of the has_one relation or not.

I created a page (modeled after the "Project" page) called Opera. I changed "Students" (in the tutorial) to Repertoire, and added a few entries. But I can only get a single line of composer/title/role to display:

Composer | Title | Role
Bellini La Donna Alfredo

...when I really have several entries I need displayed!
---------------
Here's my code RepProject.php:

<?php
/**
* Defines the RepProject page type
*/

class RepProject extends Page {

static $has_one = array(
'MyRep' => 'Rep'
);

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$tablefield = new HasOneComplexTableField(
$this,
'MyRep',
'Rep',
array(
'Composer' => 'Composer',
'Title' => 'Title',
'Role' => 'Role'
),
'getCMSFields_forPopup'
);

$fields->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Rep', $tablefield );

return $fields;
}
}

class Project_Controller extends Page_Controller {
}
?>

-----------------------------
and the SS template:
<div id="Content" class="typography">

<h2>$Title</h2>

$Content

<h3>Repertoire</h3>

<table id="Rep">
<thead>
<tr>
<th>Composer</th>
<th>Title</th>
<th>Role</th>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<% control MyRep %>
<tr>
<td><p><strong>$Composer</strong></p></td>
<td><p><strong>$Title</strong></p></td>
<td><p><strong>$Role</strong></p></td>
</tr>
<% end_control %>
</tbody></table>

$Form
$PageComments

</div>
-----------------------

Sorry to sound like a Php/MySQL retard, but I've struggled with this for hours - and now I'm finally appealing for help. My relationships are much simpler than what's in the tutorial... I just need to know how to spit out the whole table! Thank you so much, any help is appreciated.

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

26 December 2007 at 9:31am

When you want to have more than one 'Rep' on a RepProject you'll have to use a has_many relationship, otherwise it will have the id in the same table and you will not be able to save more than one Rep on a RepProject.

A has_many relationship creates a different 'lookup' table that connects the both tables through ID's.

You might have to use a HasManyComplexTableField in that case too.

(At least that's what I think).

vcmusic42

26 December 2007 at 1:26pm

Thanks for the reply...I also suspected I might need has_many, but simply changing the type of array hasn't helped. When I change the following items (in bold), I get an error and can't even edit any of the repertoire pages in the admin:

Repproject.php

<?php
/**
* Defines the Project page type
*/

class Project extends Page {

static $has_many = array(
'MyRep' => 'Rep'
);

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$tablefield = new HasManyComplexTableField(
$this,
'MyRep',
'Rep',
array(
'Composer' => 'Composer',
'Title' => 'Title',
'Role' => 'Role'
),
'getCMSFields_forPopup'
);

$fields->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Rep', $tablefield );

return $fields;
}
}

class Project_Controller extends Page_Controller {
}
?>

---------------

What I need is something similar to what's on this site: http://carladirlikov.com/main.asp, then click "Repertoire." Some composers could have more than one work associated with them, or one work might have 1+ roles, but for the most part, it's just one composer, work, and role per line.

Honestly, I've taken a look at the sections in the Wiki about tablelistfields and dataobjects, but I was still confused. Most of the tutorials are about very complex relationships, and I don't need to know how to sort, etc.

If anyone has a way to explain has_many in simple, newbie terms, I'd be forever indebted. I'm willing to invest the time to learn more about SS because it's turning out to be exactly what I need for several projects. This one aspect of the coding is just slowing me down - and it's definitely operator error! ;)

thank you in advance.

dio5

26 December 2007 at 9:12pm

Take a look at

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:5-dataobject-relationship-management#student_-_mentor_relation

HasMany is described there.
You'll need a has_one relationship on the other side too.

vcmusic42

27 December 2007 at 3:14am

I spent all afternoon on the Dataobject Relation tutorial yesterday. But I'm not in need of different pages using the same tables, just one page with one associated table.

Dio - what do you mean when you say "the other side"?

dio5

27 December 2007 at 3:24am

Well, you do need one page that has many 'repertoires', don't you?
So you need one repertoireholder and a repertoire object.

The holder is your 'RepProject'.

Then you also need a 'repertoire' object (that extends DataObject). That object is the 'other side'.

Please go through that part of the tutorial that I told you. It's really that what you need.

It's quite easy:

- a repertoireholder page with has_many repertoire objects.
- one repertoire object with has_one repertoire holder.

I must admit I haven't actually used a hasmanycomplextablefield myself, but I will in the coming weeks. However I've used has_many relationships a few times...

vcmusic42

27 December 2007 at 5:14am

Ok, thanks for spelling that out. I'm going to start from scratch and work my way through the entire tutorial. Maybe some lightbulbs will go off - I know it's a matter of something very basic I'm overlooking.