Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Installation hell :-(

Go to End

6 Posts   2883 Views

media-slave

Community Member, 3 Posts

23 March 2007 at 11:37am

Having real trouble installing to test. First I got this error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/sites/media-slave.co.uk/public_html/silverstripe/install.php on line 513

Then found out I need to trigger php5 which I did with this script in my htaccess
SetEnv DEFAULT_PHP_VERSION 5

Then I get this prob:
Please set the PHP option short_open_tag to true, restart your webserver, and then refresh your browser to continue.

I tried to fix this by adding a php.ini & php5.ini in the install folder. It kinda made a difference. Now I get this page:
http://www.media-slave.co.uk/silverstripe/home/successfullyinstalled
But is displays either a 404 error or the whole install.php file as text :-(

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

23 March 2007 at 4:17pm

From the sounds of things it's having trouble setting up rewriting rules on your host

You need to make sure that AllowOverride all is set up in your httpd.conf file.

media-slave

23 March 2007 at 9:44pm

Edited: 23/03/2007 10:15pm

AllowOverride is already configured on our servers. :-(

What can I try next. really want to get this working and test it. Do I need any filepermissions set?

I deleted the mysql, deleted all the files and reinstalled with all settings running as above. Now my install page just gives me a blank.....

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

23 March 2007 at 11:37pm

Seems like PHP is crashing? Even if you have mod_rewrite and allowoverride failing should be able to access your homepage via

http://www.media-slave.co.uk/silverstripe/sapphire/main.php?url=home

yet this isn't working...

media-slave

24 March 2007 at 12:46am

So have I done everything I can or is there anything else I can try? Sorry to be a pain but this cms looks great. I am a Joomla fan but this seems a bit simpler to use especially for some of my clients. Would really like to get to the bottom of this.

I guess my main prob is I run virtual hosts so its hard to get certain php/apache function changed.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

30 March 2007 at 9:16pm

can you try our dailybuild and see what happens then? it has far better installation checking and will help identify if we're on top of this problem :)