Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Just doing a research on SS's so i have some Q's.

Go to End

5 Posts   1631 Views

lpetrov

Community Member, 2 Posts

21 January 2008 at 7:02pm

First of all, the framework sounds interesting (from the dox), soon i'll have time to check out completely the source code.
I have some question after some part of reading the dox.

1st. Is there a way to NOT use SS's template engine ? (PHP is already a Template Engine as u know, or u didnt ?)
2nd. Are there any events-like methodologies to handle for example pre-file upload to handle movie files for the gallery module and to compress them to flv's ?
3rd. Are the modules having events or something, if not how we can add extras with overriding (not replacing the current code) ?
4.... Are there any benchmark results ?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

22 January 2008 at 4:28am

Edited: 22/01/2008 4:29am

>1st. Is there a way to NOT use SS's template engine ? (PHP is already a Template Engine as u >know, or u didnt ?)

I don't think that that can be easily done. But why would you want to ?
The SS developers made the choice to go for a complete separation between logic and presentation. This leaves no room for a very advanced "Smartylike" template-engine (As you know , Smarty code gets dirty pretty quick). Although I love Smarty's power & versatility , it can't do anything that can't be done in SS.

>2nd. Are there any events-like methodologies to handle for example pre-file upload to handle >movie files for the gallery module and to compress them to flv's ?

Not that I know of.. You'd have to build that yourself.

>3rd. Are the modules having events or something, if not how we can add extras with >overriding (not replacing the current code) ?

What exactly do you mean ?

4.... Are there any benchmark results ?

Not that I know of. in my opinion, if sheer performance is what you want you are probably better off with a simpler , smaller CMS.

lpetrov

Community Member, 2 Posts

22 January 2008 at 4:38am

i dont mean nothing about smarty, smarty sux.
PHP is already a good template engine and seperation of logics and view is already done in several php framework with using PHP as template engine, this reduces alot of the performance generation of non-needed cache files (like every compiler/parser template engine does).

About everything else, i think that the project is good it haves alot of ideas to implement...but think before start coding, keep it simple, extendable, flexible. There isnt such framework in php for now with those 3 specifications (KISS, Ext-ble, Flexible)

Keep doing the good work :)

Bye from me ;)

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

22 January 2008 at 6:08am

>i dont mean nothing about smarty, smarty sux.
>PHP is already a good template engine and seperation of logics and view is already done in >several php framework with using PHP as template engine, this reduces alot of the performance >generation of non-needed cache files (like every compiler/parser template engine does).

Agreed, but I doubt the overhead the SS template-method creates is noticeable , I mean , It can't get any more basic than that (basically all it has to do is parse and replace) ?

>About everything else, i think that the project is good it haves alot of ideas to >implement...but think before start coding, keep it simple, extendable, flexible. There isnt such >framework in php for now with those 3 specifications (KISS, Ext-ble, Flexible)

I think Silverstripe is _very_ extendable and flexible ? Do not forget that the aim of SS is to provide an easy to use and understand CMS. They're not trying to break speed-records or win some technical code contest.

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

22 January 2008 at 11:46am

I agree with Fuzz10 on this one: simple, flexible and extendible. I haven't met a CMS and Framework in one that is so simple to use, and yet so flexible and extendible.

The only requirements will be quite some ram, PHP5, and a high memory limit.
It can become slow on mass virtual hosting servers, but backed with decent hosting, I think it's marvellous.