Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

New To SilverStripe - Few Questions

Go to End

14 Posts   4526 Views

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

25 January 2008 at 7:50pm

Hello,

I've just come across your CMS yesterday, so I'm very green.

Here are some questions off the bat:

1. Possible to structure the URLs to match the tree in the CMS? i.e domain.com/parent/child/ vs domain.com/child/

2. Possible to edit tiny_mce to include other plugins and such? I'd like to add the div tag to the drop down select, as well as add a css class/id drop down.

3. Possible to use tiny_mce on the blog module? I don't like how it uses bbcode. When I set this up for clients, I need to make this as easy to use as possible. I'd like them to be able to insert images and format using the tiny_mce tools like the rest of the site.

4. How much extra load/memory usage does it add to use a bunch of "if inSection" tags on my template? I prefer to use one main template, then target certain sections to add a bit off specific page elements. I don't like having separate templates unless I have to.

Think that's it for now. I'm looking for a new CMS to use for all my client sites. I've narrowed it down to this, and one other, so I'm trying to evaluate both of them the best I can, before switching over.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

25 January 2008 at 11:37pm

Welcome to Silverstripe.. !

>1. Possible to structure the URLs to match the tree in the CMS? i.e domain.com/parent/child/ >vs domain.com/child/

Nope , not without some tweaking. This is a much requested feature though. My guess is it will make it into a future release sometime.

>2. Possible to edit tiny_mce to include other plugins and such? I'd like to add the div tag to >the drop down select, as well as add a css class/id drop down.

Probably, but you'll have to customize the CMS sourcecode. Not a problem , but be careful with updates.

>3. Possible to use tiny_mce on the blog module? I don't like how it uses bbcode. When I set >this up for clients, I need to make this as easy to use as possible. I'd like them to be able to >insert images and format using the tiny_mce tools like the rest of the site.

Don't know on this one, haven't used the blog module.

>4. How much extra load/memory usage does it add to use a bunch of "if inSection" tags on >my template? I prefer to use one main template, then target certain sections to add a bit off >specific page elements. I don't like having separate templates unless I have to.

Can't say I expect there to be a lot of problems with performance. But I do not understand why you'd prefer to stick all markup into 1 giant file ? Seriously can't see any advantage of doing that.

>Think that's it for now. I'm looking for a new CMS to use for all my client sites. I've narrowed >it down to this, and one other, so I'm trying to evaluate both of them the best I can, before >switching over.

Good luck with your decision , please come back to let us know what you decided and why ! ;-)

Liam

26 January 2008 at 4:38am

Edited: 26/01/2008 4:44am

Do you know which files I'd have to edit to modify the tiny_mce installation? I'm a designer first, programmer...barley ;) And if anybody has an answer to the blog module question, that would be great.

In response to your question about my template setup, it depends on how much code there is. I like to have one main template and setup a bunch of 'if section' type tags, for small minor things. For example, I have a simple banner that is only displayed on a few pages. I'd rather just write "if section = blah then img src=" vs duplicating the whole template again. For more serious modifications, then obviously I'd use a fresh template.

I run a design business where I'm constantly setting up client sites with a CMS they can use to manage their site. I look for ease of use and the template engine as my number one reason for using a CMS. I really want to lean towards using SilverStripe because I absolutely love the backend UI, but it doesn't seem as polished in terms of features as the other one I'm looking at. It lacks a few things like a mature blog engine, a URL sub sections as outlined in my first post, a better template system - mainly just having it all online in the backend vs FTPing .ss files. There are also some memory issues I see around here which concerns me, even though I'm not on shared hosting, and a few other things.

Overall I really love this CMS and the direction it is going in. Just not sure if it's ready for me to use yet.

Liam

26 January 2008 at 7:52am

Edited: 26/01/2008 9:10am

Is there a batch feature for the newsletter when it gets a lot of members?

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

26 January 2008 at 8:10am

In response to your blog question, with the current SVN trunk, it is possible to enable WYSIWYG editing by either setting the static variable to true, or subclassing and doing the same, depending on if you wish to be able to post using BBCode as well.

Though you can't use both BBCode and WYSIWYG in a post.

Liam

26 January 2008 at 8:16am

Ya I wouldn't need the bbcode at all. Where are you referring to when you say to edit the static variable to true?

I haven't had enough time to really understand the whole code yet. I've been splitting my time between this, and another CMS.

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

26 January 2008 at 8:20am

In the trunk code for BlogHolder.php, (blog/code/BlogHolder.php), there is a line:

static $allow_wysiwyg_editing = false;

Changing false to true will allow you to use the WYSIWYG editor.

Liam

26 January 2008 at 8:44am

Ok I just grabbed the trunk build for the blog module off svn, and I can't find that line anywhere in said file.

I'm new to svn, though it did work, but is there a downloadable link to the module?

Go to Top