Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Changing my-url to my_url

Go to End

4 Posts   3029 Views

ckim

Community Member, 18 Posts

26 March 2007 at 4:10am

Can you point to the code where I can change - to underscore? I believe it is Google friendly.

Am I wrong? any opinion or knowledge

Peace out!

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

27 March 2007 at 5:02pm

Hyphens are better than underscores, and we intentionally used hyphens instead. The main reason is readability. If I have a link like my_home_page and then style it on my site (or another website) such that links are underlined, then I can no longer tell if it is spaces or underlines in the word.

From my experience, hyphens provide very good SEO; you can tell that with our own silverstripe.com in terms of how effective we rank for "open source cms", etc. Secondly, using the actual <title> element reinforces your name is very good for SEO.

Check out Jill Whalen at http://www.highrankings.com/ for more of this sort of info :)

ckim

Community Member, 18 Posts

30 March 2007 at 1:41am

Great. I will read up and thanks

Design City

38 Posts

1 September 2007 at 10:17pm

Hyphens are better than underscores - shearch engines in general see "open_source_cms" as one word, where as they distinguish the distinct words in "open-source-cms" becuase hyphens are used.

Personally, i tend to use underscores as a force of habit when naming files and images (and ids, classes, function names etc etc), but I really need to get into the habit of using hyphens becuase technically it's a better method.