Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Changing my-url to my_url

4 Posts   2359 Views

ckim

Community Member, 18 Posts

26 March 2007 at 4:10am

Can you point to the code where I can change - to underscore? I believe it is Google friendly.

Am I wrong? any opinion or knowledge

Peace out!

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

27 March 2007 at 5:02pm

Hyphens are better than underscores, and we intentionally used hyphens instead. The main reason is readability. If I have a link like my_home_page and then style it on my site (or another website) such that links are underlined, then I can no longer tell if it is spaces or underlines in the word.

From my experience, hyphens provide very good SEO; you can tell that with our own silverstripe.com in terms of how effective we rank for "open source cms", etc. Secondly, using the actual <title> element reinforces your name is very good for SEO.

Check out Jill Whalen at http://www.highrankings.com/ for more of this sort of info :)

ckim

Community Member, 18 Posts

30 March 2007 at 1:41am

Great. I will read up and thanks

DesignCity

38 Posts

1 September 2007 at 10:17pm

Hyphens are better than underscores - shearch engines in general see "open_source_cms" as one word, where as they distinguish the distinct words in "open-source-cms" becuase hyphens are used.

Personally, i tend to use underscores as a force of habit when naming files and images (and ids, classes, function names etc etc), but I really need to get into the habit of using hyphens becuase technically it's a better method.