Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Site Requirements and Hosting

Go to End

4 Posts   4707 Views

MattV

Community Member, 1 Post

26 March 2007 at 11:07am

Hi guys,

What has been your experience with finding commercial, reputable web hosts that meet SilverStripe's system requirements? That is, how often are PHP5's gd2, mysql, mcrypt, mbstring modules enabled, the max memory set above 32M and a PHP accelerator installed?

Are there any NZ-based PHP5 web hosts who offer shared hosting that can be guaranteed as SilverStripe-friendly, or does one need to look at offshore alternatives?

Thanks,
M.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

31 March 2007 at 5:57am

Edited: 31/03/2007 5:58am

I'd be interested at prompting others about this; those who have downloaded SilverStripe and got it going on their webhosts. We run our own boxes, which means we run whatever Debian (Etch) is up to, currently 5.2.0.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/libapache2-mod-php5

You have inspired me to contact some NZ hosts, given this was a topic on the NZ PHP Group a few weeks back, and I didn't see anyone shout out and say a domestic webfarm style (under $30/month) business provided PHP5 hosting. It seems to something that premium hosting companies (e.g. $100+ a month) provide (there are a few of these, including ourselves), from what I can tell.

I see http://www.a2hosting.com (international) being mentioned a bit, and this provides PHP 5.2.1 currently, as well as subversion, ruby on rails etc, so these guys are obviously providing a decent service rather than lazing about with draconian server software versions.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

5 April 2007 at 7:56pm

MattV, a wee chat happened just before Easter and we figured the mbstring requirement wasn't necessary. All in response to trying to make SilverStripe easier to install :)

201rc5 now no longer has the check for mbstring, please let us know if any mbstring-lacking servers have issues with SilverStripe by posting to our bugs forum :)

steve_nyhof

Community Member, 224 Posts

19 May 2008 at 3:23am

Thank you for the tip on A2hosting.com
They are a great price and the install went without a hitch.