Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Install problem (php5) *SOLVED*

Go to End

11 Posts   6266 Views

ODB

Community Member, 5 Posts

5 February 2008 at 1:44pm

Edited: 07/02/2008 3:33am

Hi there

I have been hacking through the install, solving various problems and now this:

My host normally runs php4 and tells me I should add the following line to enable php5 in the .htaccess file:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

At the moment it is the ONLY thing I am adding (and indeed the only line present in .htaccess). The requirements tell me I should use php5 so I add the line in and hit the 'Re-chack requirements' button.

The site hangs after several minutes with a '500 Internal Server Error'.

If I remove the entry in .htaccess, it works fine (or rather, the installer page reappears). Any ideas? (I don't have access to the httpd.conf file, it's a shared hosting account).

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

6 February 2008 at 11:04am

Is there anything in an error log somewhere?

ODB

6 February 2008 at 1:47pm

Afraid not. The error_log in the root comes up with nothing. Does Silverstripe log anything anywhere?

i.jacobs

Community Member, 3 Posts

7 February 2008 at 3:15am

Hey,

Seems like I'm not the only one having Problems with PHP5 while installing SilverStripe. My Webhoster (1und1) supports PHP4 and 5, but 5 only with file-extension *.php5. Is there any chance to easily fix this than manually renaming every php file and editing source-code?

Thanks in advance

Ivo

ODB

7 February 2008 at 3:28am

Is there no '.htaccess' file you can change?

ODB

7 February 2008 at 3:32am

With regard to my original issue, this site was a test site with no url forwarded to it (yet), so I was using the host's resolved server name with the account name '/~myaccname' appended to the end to access it. This appears to have been the issue in the reply to the support ticket I submitted:

"php5 will not function correctly when using the userdir extension to preview the site. This is due to a limitation on how this module works, and it cannot be avoided. You will need some sort of domain pointing to the account in order to preview php5 sites. You can, for example, park a sub domain on the primary domain and use that subdomain for testing."

I have parked a spare domain on the webspace and it seems quite happy now, so this one is solved.

ODB

7 February 2008 at 4:32am

@ i.jacobs

I saw on another cms this line to use in 1and1 .htaccess files:
'AddType x-mapp-php5 .php'

Hope that helps.

i.jacobs

Community Member, 3 Posts

7 February 2008 at 5:09am

it works! thanks for the hint.

i added