Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Dynamic copyright year

7 Posts   2849 Views

sonicparke

74 Posts

6 February 2008 at 11:05am

Howdy,

I thought I'd try to throw in some php for the year to be dynamic just to complicate things. But it doesn't want to work.

This is what I tried:

<p>Copyright &copy; <?php echo date("Y"); ?></p>

And this is the error I got:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ECHO in /tmp/silverstripe-cache-home-popraux-public_html/.cache.home.popraux.public_html.themes.popraux.templates.Page.ss on line 85

Do I need do use a certain control or varialble for this to work?

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

6 February 2008 at 11:17am

<p>Copyright &copy; $Now.Year</p>

You can't use PHP in templates. (:

sonicparke

74 Posts

6 February 2008 at 11:41am

Yeah. After I did it I figured that was the case.

So how about a random array of variables? I'm hijacking my own thread but considering I can't do PHP in a template would I have to put the code to generate the random array in Page.php and use it's variables in the template?

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

6 February 2008 at 2:36pm

Make a method in either Page or Page_Controller, which returns the random value, and call it frm the template, using $Methodname

yitter

Community Member, 10 Posts

8 February 2008 at 5:00am

Does anyone know how I could make Template Variables like $Now.Year work in the Content Field of Pages? So that it is replaced when I write in $Now.Year in a pages Content. That would be quite cool!

cheers

yitter

Community Member, 10 Posts

8 February 2008 at 11:03am

Edited: 08/02/2008 11:07am

Found a solution ..

if you ever want to parse PHP via Template Tags inside $Content you could do the following:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {

function ContentProcessed(){
   $s = new SSViewer_FromString($this->data()->getField("Content"));
   return $s->process($this);
}

}

if you now use $ContentProcessed in your Page.ss you can enter template variables in the CMS. $Now.Year in the "Content" Html Editor Field would turn into 2008 or whatever year we are on the Website. There may be something more elegant (thinking $Content.Processed ..?) but this works pretty well.

Hope that helps someone someday

Matt

Core Development Team, 84 Posts

9 February 2008 at 7:32pm

Extending that example a bit, you could also do this instead of your return line:
return DBField::create("HTMLText", $s->process($this));

That way, you can do things like $ContentProcessed.XML or $ContentProcessed.Summary in your template.