Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Handle Large Sites

Go to End

6 Posts   2957 Views

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

13 February 2008 at 3:51pm

I'm just curious to know the capacity and effects of Silverstripe running large sites. I am considering the options of converting a large site to Silverstripe and this site has over 1000 pages. I know that there has been an increased memory usage with another site of similar size when accessing the admin area.

Is it likely that the more pages you have the more memory you'll need to open the admin area?

What's been your experience with larger site's on SS?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

16 February 2008 at 11:50am

Can't say anything useful about this , just posting to subscribe to the thread.

;-)

blueskies

Community Member, 44 Posts

16 February 2008 at 12:25pm

Sorry, I can't add anything useful either. Very curious about other people's experience, though, so just subscribing to the thread :-)

LarcenIII

Community Member, 8 Posts

18 February 2008 at 7:27pm

Guys, I'm sweating it too, I need to know and preferably soon!

For those who know, Is large scale Testing Planned/Completed?

I have more questions but I've been waiting on learning the layout of this place, so I can try to help myself!

Everything seems wonderful and all, but I've got a site that I need to complete soon, a few actually, and since I've started with SilverStripe I want to know some things, like some statics on how many sites are using it and how long.

Everythings kinda spread out and this site makes me dizzy.

I shouldn't have to struggle to find answers.

Like If I mod page.php, like on the Sitemaps example, Am I screwing myself over when an update comes about?

I would like also to know about how future upgrades are going to be compatible and Modules won't break.

And I've been having a really hard time adapting templates. I'll get the site kinda working, and then bam, forum modules sends everything to hell.

I LOVE YOU GUYS, I LOVE YOUR WORK.
I'm just being honest, I don't think I'm dumb, but for an average user, this would be +++ frustrating.

I think I'm just going to wind up using the Black Candy Template, cause that's the only one that works with all the modules...

And I posted to subscribe to this thread too...

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

9 April 2008 at 2:51pm

Well.. time to comment back on my own post. After installing xcache (see details on requirements page here: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=server-requirements) I saw a huge improvement on speed. I haven't tested the memory usage to see if it's reduced but I can confirm that SS runs significantly faster with a PHP accelerator. Most notibly the admin area.

The difference is so big that for larger sites I would say it's almost a required component.

Just my 2c

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

9 April 2008 at 5:02pm

Thanks for the feedback - you may also want to keep your eye on the following post in relation to site performance.

http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/48401