Just found this framework/cms and was intent on installing it on a local testbed to see what it could do. As a website designer and consultant, I looked forward to adding this as one of my design tools, but find myself in the same boat as the other ones in this thread. To give a bit more background on my testbed, I'll illustrate the server platform as follows:
Windows Vista - All updates installed
Using Firefox to run the installer as IE botches everything
Running the framework from an alias directory configured as follows:
Alias /silverstripe2-2-1 "D:/Design Practice/frameworks/silverstripe2-2-1"
<Directory "D:/Design Practice/frameworks/silverstripe2-2-1">
Allow from all
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so is clearly enabled in the httpd.conf and shows in info.php. I can run the installer to the same point where it stalls at the screen testing for rewrite, then all things hang there.
I have already right clicked all folders in the directories associated with silverstrip and unticked the read only attributes, applying to all files and folders as well. This has not fixed the problem. I did this for the .htaccess file, and the mysite, turtorials, and assets folders as well. Of note, during the install, I also unticked the default theme, BlackCandy so that I could use the tutorial.
Of further note, I also noticed that Silverstrip wants to configure things for localhost and 127.0.0.1, but with windows vista issues and IE 7+, it required me to configure my apache server for localhost on port 80 only else IE wanted to bomb in Vista with the new security issues. This might be another reason why the mod rewrite testing is not working correctly as localhost is the configuration in the server, and NOT 127.0.0.1, but I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to servers nor PHP, so it's just something I'm pointing out for you to evaluate and think about. I found it really was quite a PITA to get a local test bed running on a windblows box and am seriously thinking about jumping ship to a more open OS in future.
I suspect it's probably a problem with vista home premium and their new way of handling security issues with files and users, requiring administrative clearance for things and not giving automatic administrative rights without making you jump through hoops when you run a program, having to instead right click the program and select running it as administrator to boot.
As such, the only was I see to get around this is to have some documentation put together to allow users to manually make some of the changes the installer makes to the files in the vista os's.
I'd really like to get this up and running to see what it can do. I also noticed that some people were having issue getting this to work on GoDaddy servers as well, which is who I host with. So in the end, this might not even be a solution for my own site, but it would be a nice tool for the toolbox. Hope that some of my information helps you guys find where the issues are and helps you fix them.
If I click continue regardless, it heads to an error page:
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Install dead, cannot get any further. Any further attempts to browse to the pages leads to the same error on a varying page, Bad Request. Another curious note I forgot to mention, the installer doesn't even recognize that Apache is installed, can't identify the server.