Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Allowed Image Size?

Go to End

4 Posts   4687 Views

areikiera

Community Member, 26 Posts

21 February 2008 at 5:01am

I've been posting here pretty often lately, so thanks for any and all help! If I could buy you all beers or coffees, I certainly would.

I just added the Image tab to my CMS (with help from the tutorial), and I was wondering about the limitations. I uploaded a 1.7Mb file with no problems, but a 3.8Mb file didn't upload. I was wondering what the actual size limit for images was, whether in pixels or file size, so I can give my client proper instructions.

Also, is the size limit editable? Where?

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it when I searched. Thanks so much!

Design City

38 Posts

21 February 2008 at 10:05pm

Hi areikiera,

As far as i'm aware (happy to be corrected!) Silverstripe doesn't limit the images you can upload by file size or dimensions. Any upload limits would be the limits imposed by your PHP installation. I'm not too sure how to check that on your server, but hopefuly you should be able to google it relatively easily.

Hope it helps :)

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

13 May 2008 at 9:17pm

unfortunately, silverstripe actually DOES limit your image dimensions, at least when using the image insertion panel that is opened clicking the image thumbnail in the tinymce toolbar.

silverstripe there constrains image dimensions to a 600x600 square.

to change this limitation, open 'cms/code/ThumbnailStripField.php', at around line 60 you find

if($width > 600) ...

set '600' to your required max width there.

it would be nice to have this configurable though... ?

Design City

38 Posts

13 May 2008 at 9:50pm

Good info schellmax! I think you'll find however, that the pixel dimension limitation from images uploaded from the image insertion panel doesn't limit the size of images uploaded, rather it limits the size of the image that TinyMCE will insert into the page. The full image is uploaded as requested, but it is resized for you to 600px wide when it is placed on the page.