Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Multiple sites on a single server

Go to End

9 Posts   6643 Views

Hollywood

Community Member, 1 Post

4 April 2007 at 6:35am

This is my first experience with SilverStripe and it may not be my last. After suffering through installs of other CMS software on a client's box only to find they don't work, this one does!

Here are the details. I have a client with a Windows Server 2003 box hosted in a secure DMZ. By default, the CMS comes up on http://localhost:3000 which should be fine. I have to build multiple sites for this client though, and can that be done on the same box? How? Will a new install overwrite the previous?

Thanks!

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

4 April 2007 at 10:13am

You can set up different sites on different virtualhosts, or install into different directories. As long as you specify different database names, it should be fine.

savage

Community Member, 1 Post

4 July 2007 at 10:58am

Hi Sam
is this the recommended way to manage multi-sites.
the way the navigation is laid out within the admin tool, you get the impression you could run multiple sites within the same instance?
Tim

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

5 July 2007 at 6:02pm

We have certainly run multiple sites from the same code base but I'll leave someone else to fill in the details since I'm about to go off and have dinner now :P

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

8 July 2007 at 9:05pm

Currently multiple sites from the same installation is something that we're experimenting with, but there's no publically available code yet.

For now, I recommend setting up multiple, separated sites.

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

11 September 2008 at 7:51am

Hi,

When you say multiple, separated sites, you mean basically, that if my initial Silverstripe site is in \wamp\www\silverstripe-v2.2.2 (accessed at: http://localhost/silverstripe-v2.2.2/), then I need to COPY the silverstripe-v2.2.2 folder and rename it to something else-- i.e.: the name of the second site?

This doesn't work, as when I rename even the original silverstripe-v2.2.2 folder, and try to go to http://localhost/new-folder-name-or-second-folder-name/, I get:

"Not Found
The requested URL /silverstripe-v2.2.2/sapphire/main.php was not found on this server."

BUT-- I can't find any instance in the entire installation of the string "silverstripe-v2.2.2".

How do I do this? I need multiple Silverstripe sites on this server.

Help!

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

11 September 2008 at 8:35am

In other words, no matter what I do, and no matter what page I access in the second folder/site, it STILL writes the same <basehref> path in the header-- that of the original folder.

What's up with this??

Thanks again,
Garrett

Nadee

Community Member, 12 Posts

3 October 2008 at 10:30pm

This is because you have already setup your installation on /silverstripe-v2.2.2 folder and the setup scripts have written the path in the .htaccess file.

What you should do is after copying your SS installation to another folder, edit the .htaccess file and the /project/_config.php file to reflect the changes.

Go to Top