Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

mod_rewrite issues remain in 2.2.2 rc2

Go to End

5 Posts   1973 Views

sharper

Community Member, 7 Posts

16 March 2008 at 5:26am

i've installed the latest build and the issue with mod_rewrite still remain. specifically, i continue to get this message: "I can't tell whether mod_rewrite is running. You may need to configure a rewriting rule yourself."

is there a solution or work-around?

tuwhare

Community Member, 3 Posts

18 March 2008 at 10:13am

Yes I have the same issue on a server I am working. I managed to get it working by making changes to Apache conf file on my development server as suggested in the install documentation.

However I cannot make changes to Apache on my Production server as it is a hosted server and I do not have access to conf files to make changes. My host states mod_rewrite is enabled.

Any help with getting around the mod_rewrite issues would be appreciated. Currently working with 2.2.1

cames

Community Member, 9 Posts

18 March 2008 at 9:24pm

Does your host run PHP as cgi? If so, you won't have the apache2handler functions to return the available modules, so the installer tells the truth, if not the full story. Complete the install anyway, and check your .htaccess file - the rewrite rules should still get written and Silverstripe should be fine.

tuwhare

Community Member, 3 Posts

18 March 2008 at 10:18pm

I've since read the 2.2.2 rc2 resolves the rewrite so I have successfully installed that now. I still got the "cannot determine if mod_rewrite is working" error but managed to install regardless. My host runs Apache on Linux (of course) so PHP runs normally rather than as cgi.

Most things are working okay in 2.2.2 but there are a few quirks (bugs) which I will look to document.

cames

Community Member, 9 Posts

18 March 2008 at 11:34pm

PHP can be run on Linux as an executable cgi binary, or integrated with Apache as a module - check 'Server API' at the top of PHP Info output to see which one you have.