Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

i18n is far from normal. When?

Go to End

12 Posts   4775 Views

Fabie

Community Member, 28 Posts

10 September 2008 at 7:46pm

Hello skipper,

The problems don't seem to be linked to the "code" but more to how to use the silverstripe interface to translate.
One of the main problem that i was having first is how to create a child page within the non-default language site. This was easily done when i realised i had to go in the defaut language page and click on the translation tab.

Then the other probs that started to appear were that:
When I was translating a page from (default) german to english, then for some reason the english text replaced the german default text within SilverStripe..... go figure. Then as my post above under 1) i was told that it was because i had both the site and SS open in the same browser and when I switched languages in the site it switched languages in SS as well (without informing me of course). This is what caused my "english" text to appear in German...

I am using 2.2.1 as there were some other crazy bugs in 2.2.2 (i can't remember now) that couldn't be solved until the patches are done.

If I can help pls don't hesitate...

Skipper

Community Member, 16 Posts

10 September 2008 at 8:11pm

Merci, Fabie.

Something to add to the "problem list", probably, is to not to use the same page name in different languages. Things were a bit weird when I had two pages with the same name (/en/home and /de/home) - although I can't confirm at 100% that the funny site behaviour was caused by that. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Another question, maybe you have an elegant solution for my current task: I want a second menu, Down in the footer, I need to put the imprint, some legal stuff etc, things that have nothing to do with the content of the site, but which need to be there and translated nevertheless. How do you do that?

Thanks!

François

25 Posts

18 October 2008 at 9:12am

Edited: 18/10/2008 9:17am

First, thanks to all the posters in this thread and all the very usefull informations.

I still have a somewhat big problem. I develop a site with content in, at least, four languages: english, french, german and italian (hey, welcome in Switzerland!).

The problem is that some pages have the same name in french and english. These are the "contact", "references" and "services". My customer insist to use exactly those page names in the url and not only in the navigation (which would then be trivial).

So our goal is to have urls like /fr/contact, /en/contact, /fr/services, /en/services, ...

But, as Skipper has already discovered, when you have different pages, or just different translations (of the same page) sharing a same UrlSegment, you have a problem.

I used the ?showqueries=1 to see what's happening under the hood. And I found at least one problem. I think (but I can not confirm) that the first sql query is the problem. This query is:

SELECT `SiteTree_Live`.*, `GhostPage_Live`.*, `UserDefinedForm_Live`.*, `ChantierPage_Live`.*, `ErrorPage_Live`.*, `RedirectorPage_Live`.*, `VirtualPage_Live`.*, `SubscribeForm_Live`.*, `SiteTree_Live`.ID, if(`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName,`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName,'SiteTree') AS RecordClassName FROM `SiteTree_Live` LEFT JOIN `GhostPage_Live` ON `GhostPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `UserDefinedForm_Live` ON `UserDefinedForm_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `ChantierPage_Live` ON `ChantierPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `ErrorPage_Live` ON `ErrorPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `RedirectorPage_Live` ON `RedirectorPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `VirtualPage_Live` ON `VirtualPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `SubscribeForm_Live` ON `SubscribeForm_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID WHERE (URLSegment = 'contact') ORDER BY Sort LIMIT 1

The important part is the where clause: WHERE (URLSegment = 'contact')

You can see that SilverStripe tries to find the page using only the URLSegment. What is missing is the language. This comes later with a query like this:

SELECT `SiteTree_Live`.*, `SiteTree_lang_Live`.*, [...] WHERE (`SiteTree_lang_Live`.OriginalLangID = 3) AND (`SiteTree_lang_Live`.Lang = 'en') ORDER BY Sort LIMIT 1

where in "OriginalLangID = 3 " the '3' comes, I suppose, from the result of the first query.

There is a lot of other queries following. It's very interesting. But of course, with only the queries, it is impossible to know exactly what SS does with the results.

My conclusions (so far):

Suppose you have a page in two languages and sharing the same URLSegment:

(english is the reference language)

english: 'contact', ID=3, this page will be saved in SiteTree_Live
french: 'contact', ID=5, this page will be saved in SiteTree_Lang with OriginalLangID=3

Suppose now that you consult the french version of the site. You click on "contact" in the navigation and SS will then try to find the page in the SiteTree_Live table with "WHERE (URLSegment = 'contact')". The result will be the page with ID=3, that is, the english version of the page, and not the french one. After that, I'm not surprised that SS behavior becomes funny!

You can see a side effect of this in the Statistics view of your site, in the Page Views section. In you have two pages with the same name and you display the translated version, the view count is incremented for the original (default) language of the page. Your Page Views statistics are then wrong!

Solution?

I don't have a solution for the moment. For the moment I created pages with different names (contact-fr, contact-en, ...) and explained the situations to my customer. That's ok for him for the moment but, of course, we hope to have a solution to this problem in the near future.

Unfortunately I don't think a simple solution exist. I see three possibility:

1) before searching in the SiteTree_Live table, first look in the SiteTree_lang_Live table with the URLSegment and the lang parameter in the where clause. Only after this first query do the query in the SiteTree_Live table.

2) add a 'lang' column in the SiteTree_Live (and SiteTree) tables and add this column in the where clause of the query.

3) do not save the "translatable" content (texts) in the SiteTree table but always save this kind of content in the SiteTree_lang_Live table. Remove the "translatable" columns from the SiteTree table.

Of course solutions 2 and 3 require an important modification of the database schema. And solution no 3 requires that the i18n tables always exist. Maybe for a future (3.x) version of SS...

Solution no 1 may be easy to implement, but can, maybe, have some side-effect. I will try to find the time to investigate and do some tests.

If a developper read this, feel free to contact me to discuss these issues. I have quite a bit of experience with i18n problems, having worked with lots of other CMS and multi-lingual sites. I will be very happy to help if I can.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 October 2008 at 5:50pm

francois, you might like to post to the dev mailing list with your thoughts or perhaps raise this as an issue on open.silverstripe.com. This will likely generate some more feedback for you

Go to Top