Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

updating the windows executable version of SS

Go to End

5 Posts   1900 Views

Nicolaas

Forum Moderator, 224 Posts

21 April 2008 at 12:05pm

Edited: 21/04/2008 12:06pm

hey gurus - I have installed the local windows version of SS. It runs php 5.1.4, but I would like to run 5.2.1 . Does anyone know how to upgrade this? There are some functions within SS that rely on 5.2, so it would be nice to do this upgrade.

I tried installing a new version of PHP over the other one, but that did not work.

Thank you

Nicolaas

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

21 April 2008 at 12:57pm

Hi Nicolaas,

If you want this level of control, your best bet is probably to install some kind of WAMP server and then use the PHP installer.

The Windows installer is good for getting up and running quickly but isn't as flexible.

I run Mac, so I can't recommend a WAMP server that I have used a lot personally. Does anyone else have some good recommendations?

lekoala

Community Member, 31 Posts

22 April 2008 at 7:59pm

I would recommend one of these two for anyone who is not an expert with apache administration

XAMPP

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

WAMP server

http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

Personally I use WAMP server because I find it easier to use than XAMPP. But for security purpose, I would recommend to install apache/php/mysql separately...

Nicolaas

Forum Moderator, 224 Posts

22 April 2008 at 9:10pm

wampserver is AWESOME.... THANK YOU!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

22 April 2008 at 9:14pm

I use MAMP on a daily basis on the Mac, but I've tried WAMPServer, and it's pretty good. I especially like the fact you can turn off and on PHP modules with the dropdown.