Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Adding new users?

Go to End

6 Posts   7352 Views

Decisive Flow

Community Member, 73 Posts

21 April 2008 at 1:47pm

I have never had a ss intallation that lets me add new users. I've seen a lot of other people ont he forums with this problem. No users show up int he backend, even if they are added.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

21 April 2008 at 8:06pm

hey nat, which version of silverstripe are you running?
in 2.2.1 there were two ways to add a member in the security area: inline in the member table and through the popup. which one is not working for you?

lekoala

Community Member, 31 Posts

25 April 2008 at 10:58pm

this is not directly related, but I have a problem when adding a new user from the admin interface (everything is fine if the user register trough the forum signup) after having installed the forum module. When I click the newly created user, I got an error :

Fatal error: Call to a member function id() on a non-object in E:\www\xemecercle\silverstripe\forum\code\ForumRole.php on line 225

which is "$form->dataFieldByName('ConfirmPassword')->id();" is this related to a missing field or something?

By the way, I find disturbing to have two times "confirm password" input when you edit a user. I guess there is one for setting a new password or something like that but it should be more explicit.

And also, is there any easy way to switch a user to one group to another from the admin interface?

zyko

Community Member, 66 Posts

7 May 2008 at 2:55am

Edited: 07/05/2008 3:08am

i can only imagine where this troubles are from:
1) first. in some prior version of ss, there were only members, and no groups.
2) then, in a later version of ss, there was the possibility to put one member in one group.
3) after that, things changed to 'member can be in many groups'.
4) ss never had the problem in the past, that there were a 'lot of members'
ss is a cms-system, a member out from history is someone, who can work in the backend.
so troubles here began, when inventing forum module, where these 'not backend-users'
now can be muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more, than any number of cms-users in the past.

and the problem is, that the security panel in SS backend is thinking, we have to deal only with 2.). it lives 'in the past'...
which means you can't use this security panel 'as it is'.
it takes the first group a member belongs to, and there this member will be shown
in the security panel....

I had my first 'negative' experience, when i deleted a member from a group
and expected this, to only delete the relation, which, yeah, did more then that :--(

Noone could explain me till now, why there's no feature 'in the standard-product' to, if editing a member this would show a 'multiple-choice-field' corresponding to members in groups
maybe using some nice control, like this one, shown here in that thread:
http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/3340?start=8

but: noone prevents you to do things as they should be, anyone can change the misbehaviour for himself, by hacking ss-member code...
but no idea, why anyone has todo this for himself... ;-)

maybe things are better in final version of 2.2.2
I had a try on rc3, but things in security admin seem to be more worse than now,
Now (2.2.1) things are ok, if you only imagine 2.) to be the situation...
which means, dont' try to use the feature, that one member can be in many groups, use it only like a member has only one group....

Implemented 'the right way' i would recommend ss solving this problem by implementing an additional 'standard-group' field, which any member has, and ensure, that this 'standard-group' ist always in the list of all groups to which a member belongs.
OR ss could find something else 'fe. a tag' which could be used for a first preselection of members possible, if there are a lot of them...
Or, ss could always show 'all members' and allow some kind of 'filtering'.

Putting it all together, HERE it's the same more 'general problem' that backend in ss is leaking a few more 'opportunitys' how to deal with 'a lot of DataObjects' in relations to someting.

But i heard about, things will get better in this area, so theyr'e on the way :-)))
i promised to stay tuned *ggg*

g
Helmut

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

7 May 2008 at 10:09am

> 1) first. in some prior version of ss, there were only members, and no groups.
> 2) then, in a later version of ss, there was the possibility to put one member in one group.
> 3) after that, things changed to 'member can be in many groups'.
can't confirm any of these assumptions.

> I had a try on rc3, but things in security admin seem to be more worse than now,
can you provide some more insight of whats worse?

>Noone could explain me till now, why there's no feature 'in the standard-product' to, if editing a member this would show a 'multiple-choice-field' corresponding to members in groups
maybe using some nice control, like this one, shown here in that thread:
http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/3340?start=8

generally we're open for this idea if its implement in a useable fashion - and if you're keen to hack silverstripe yourself (as you're implied), you might as well implement this and provide a patch :)

> Implemented 'the right way' i would recommend ss solving this problem by implementing
can you please file this as an enhancement ticket on open.silverstripe.com? way easier to keep track of suggestions this way.

zyko

Community Member, 66 Posts

7 May 2008 at 8:18pm

Hi Ingo,

sorry that my assumptions were wrong.
but the missing ability to put member in many groups took me to that assumption...

i as i sayed, i resumeed to not use 'member can be in many groups', because of the inability to use the ss backend afterwards.
for cms users that 'member is in one group' approach is good enough i think.

for securing 'frontend users' (users who can't login in cms)
i decided to do my own enhancements on members and registration of members.
because of the necessity to replace the member-registration form too, this seems to be a robust solution.

as things develop further, i'm sure, that many other 'modules', not only forum alone, will decorate member in future with own fields.
i've seen these things in typo3, where a lot of extensions add fields to 'users'.

having my own registration form, makes it easyer to 'show only necessary' fields, for new members with additionally extensions in future..
and not mixing my 'frontend security' into ss security system, is, as is think a good solution. ss was not designed to do a lot of 'frontend security' things.

you can see this, if you remind that forum, the only thing which is capable of creating users on demand is a 'module', and not part of the core...
and becouse there's no ability to 'email-verify' this 'online creation' in any module at start, which as i think is a MUST for any system in these times...
BTW: sorry i'm not that far, but i promise that i'll post my solution for 'email-verirfy', if i've got it...
(idea: decorate member with 'email-verifyed boolean,
send email with salt after registration,
(maybe only an url he has to visit, taking salt as an argument)
and user has to put in his salt, to set email-verifyed to true...)

so, having sayed this, please don't take me tooo serious.
i've to say, that silverstripe is a very very very good product in this area.
i've seen a lot of absolutely WOW things, fe sapphire,
and ss is not too big, to not get into if studying the code.

and i'm sure ss will be get better and better in future.

g
Helmut