Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

ParentID if lowerlevel pages, ID if not? Help!

7 Posts   2994 Views

dancrew32

Community Member, 15 Posts

25 April 2008 at 11:26am

trying to make a different header image for specific pages based on their parent id..

the problem is that When you're on the ParentID page, it outputs '0' for a value.

How would I make it write it's own ID (when on the top level page) and write it's ParentID when you're on a child page?

id="header" class="ban$ParentID"

Thanks in advance!

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

25 April 2008 at 1:32pm

That is going to get broken pretty quick if you have to keep making classes for each page.

Have you thought about using a enum select for pages to select from a defined list of classes.. you could even use a dataobject list to setup new classes to make sure it is kept current.

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

25 April 2008 at 10:13pm

dancrew: I recommend that you make a little function on your Page class, HeaderClass:

it could be this:

function HeaderClass() {
if($this->ParentID) return "banner-" . $this->ParentID;
else return "banner-" . $this->ID;
}

But Blackdog's suggestion is better. For that, you could make an enum field called HeaderClass instead of the HeaderClass() function. :-)

dancrew32

26 April 2008 at 7:14am

Sam and Blackdog, I really appreciate the help.

Sam, I am new to this MVC deal, and I'm curious where you might implement the script you provided below. Would it be in mysite/code/page.php? How would I call it on my theme/page.ss?
$HeaderClass?

Sorry, new to this part of SS still. Thanks for any help you can provide. =]

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

26 April 2008 at 11:45am

Yes on both counts. HeaderClass() should either be inside class Page or class Page_Controller.

If it's inside class Page, then you will be able to access it inside a block such as <% control Menu(1) %> - getting the HeaderClass for each of the menu items. However, I'm sure not that you would ever want to do this.

If you put it inside class Page_Controller, then you will only be able to access it at the top level. For methods that don't make any sense to be used inside a <% control %> block, we usually put them on the controller.

dancrew32

6 May 2008 at 3:57am

Edited: 06/05/2008 3:58am

Sorry, hopefully this is the last question... I just don't quite get how to implement the control from Page_Controller. Would it be like this?

<div id="header" class="<% control HeaderClass() %><% end_control %>">

my page controller class:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
   function init() {
      parent::init();

Requirements::themedCSS("layout");
      Requirements::themedCSS("typography");
      Requirements::themedCSS("form");
   }
function HeaderClass() {
if($this->ParentID) return "banner-" . $this->ParentID;
else return "banner-" . $this->ID;
}
}

(btw, this doesn't output anything in the class="" section for some reason.. any ideas?)

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

6 May 2008 at 9:06am

Edited: 06/05/2008 9:08am

You're heading in the right direction.

Take the parenthesis off the <% control HeaderClass() %> inside the template, that isn't required and may be breaking. Also, you should be just returning $HeaderClass, as it's a single piece of text. The <% control HeaderClass %> block is used for a set of data returned, as opposed to a single string.

e.g.

<div id="header" class="$HeaderClass">