Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Solution to Memory Problems: Fatal error

Go to End

Blueskybeach

11 Posts

6 May 2008 at 6:39am

Edited: 06/05/2008 7:15am

I think I have a solution as to why simply changing the php.ini and .htaccess doesn't solve the memory problem...

Create a file and save it as: php.ini
--
Type the following into the php.ini document:

memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB)
upload_max_filesize = 32M

-- 
Then, save this php.ini file in every folder that has a script in it (all the folders if you're not sure which have scripts or not). This means all sub-folders too.
--
Also create a file called, "silverstripe-cache" and include it in the domain/subdomain that you plan on installing SS. The folders you should have are the following, "assets, auth_openid, cms, jsparty, mysite, saphire, silverstripe-cache, themes, tutorial".
--
Then re-install.

The easiest way to do this is to do it on your PC/ Mac using copy and paste before uploading the folder containing the CMS up to your server. I.e. it can be a pain in the ass copy and pasting (and making sure it's the right file you're working with etc) on the server [unless you're good with shell commands and all that stuff].
-- 
Good Luck - I hope this helps others, because I was going mental for hours trying to find a solution.

If 32M doesn't cut it - keep increasing it until you get the sweet spot...

Shumon!