Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

proposal for Forum - readability

Go to End

11 Posts   19528 Views

zyko

Community Member, 66 Posts

8 May 2008 at 7:53pm

Edited: 14/05/2008 9:04pm

i've a proposal for Forum layout.

i think doing SilverStripe websites has todo a lot with writing code,
and therefore this forum will be used often to show some pieces of code
and discuss aout it.

What would make things easyer was, if you would format this pieces of code
in an alternate way.

fe. if someone clicks 'View Formatting Help' beneath a thread, there it shows this
'codeblock' BBode.

I've done some threads using it, but the layout here doesn't differ from the rest of the posting.
fe:
http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/66662

this is a codeblock, please show me in an alternate way ;-)

if you look at the html, my 'code'-block has turned into a 'pre' statement.

so, i think if someone would spend a minute, to css-fomat this tag
in another layout,
this forum could get an immediate 'boost' of readability ;-)

g
Helmut

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

8 May 2008 at 9:01pm

Posting large blocks of code in the forum is a bit of a hassle and generally if you want to paste code in the forum we recommend using pastie - http://pastie.caboo.se/ and posting the link in the post. That way the code is nicely highlighted and formatted and users dont have to bear with great mass's of code outputs on the threads.

saimo

Community Member, 67 Posts

9 May 2008 at 12:09am

Edited: 09/05/2008 12:12am

I have to agree with zyko here.
code blocks should have a different style than the rest of the post, here are some points:

• Keep indentation (as is done already)
  • Put the code in an iframe or a div with scrollbar, so that it is easy to skip past the code if you have already read it
  • Make the style of this div or iframe so that it is clear where is starts and ends, to improve overall readability of the post
  • Ideally provide syntax highlighting for php, css, xml markup, and template tags.

I really think that being able to read the code directly in the message is important, both for readability and for archive reasons as well. What if someone googles a problem and finds a thread that seems to solve the problem, but all the code is somewhere else, in a paste that might not be around anymore?

EDIT: It seems like there's a problem with the ulist tags as well, my ulist should be right below "here are some points:"

saimo

Community Member, 67 Posts

9 May 2008 at 12:17am

Well, that doesn't seem to work right either...
this is how I meant for it to look (copy + paste + fixup):

I have to agree with zyko here.
code blocks should have a different style than the rest of the post, here are some points:

* Keep indentation (as is done already)
* Put the code in an iframe or a div with scrollbar, so that it is easy to skip past the code if you have already read it
* Make the style of this div or iframe so that it is clear where is starts and ends, to improve overall readability of the post
* Ideally provide syntax highlighting for php, css, xml markup, and template tags.

I really think that being able to read the code directly in the message is important, both for readability and for archive reasons as well. What if someone googles a problem and finds a thread that seems to solve the problem, but all the code is somewhere else, in a paste that might not be around anymore?

EDIT: It seems like there's a problem with the ulist tags as well, my ulist should be right below "here are some points:"

zyko

9 May 2008 at 1:34am

Edited: 09/05/2008 1:35am

THX saimo.
i have to agree to the following thing:
"What if someone googles a problem and finds a thread that seems to solve the problem, but all the code is somewhere else, in a paste that might not be around anymore? "

the main problem for me, starting with silverstripe was 'how to get into it'.
if these code-fragements were outside, they wouldn't be searchable...
and the first thing anyone does in theses days, is 'look for something similar'
to my problem.
becouse in 80% i'm not the first to have this problem...
BTW: things would be better additionally, if dokumentation was capable of getting 'page-comments',
(i wrote a trac-proposal for this)

and if readability was better too, anyone could get things faster...

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 May 2008 at 9:38am

zyko for your proposal about doc comments you might want to add to it this plugin - http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:discussion for docwiki. Seems that plugin would work pretty well.

sarahk

Community Member, 46 Posts

9 May 2008 at 1:44pm

I'm happy with the caboo suggestion but it would be good to get the list styling sorted. I use it habitually and it really screws up here :)

zyko

10 May 2008 at 3:47am

Hi willr,

WOW, yessss that docwiki-discussion plugin would be absolutely cool to have :-)
g
helmut

Go to Top