Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Static WebSite to Silverstripe

Go to End

2 Posts   1516 Views

invalidsyntax

Community Member, 1 Post

15 May 2008 at 7:50am

Can I take my static site (css, images, layout) and make it into SilverStripe CMS?

Do I place my existing css, xhtml etc into the template folder?

Thanks for your help

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

15 May 2008 at 12:14pm

The short answer is 'Yes, you can move your existing site to SilverStripe.'

I'm in the middle of doing just that. A few notes from my experiences so far:

Do the first couple of tutorials - they will give you a good feel for how it all works.

You will be building everything inside the 'mysite' folder, replacing its contents with your (modified) current files.

I moved out my text formatting CSS to a separate stylesheet called typography.css and added a typography class to the content wrapper div in my template. This means the CMS admin page can reference the styles. Have a look at the typography.css in the tutorial and the tutorial page.ss template.

As a first pass, you can just insert $content to replace your current text to create basic templates.

The next stage is reworking the menus so they are generated automatically from the structure rather than hand-built. That will be fun but the forums have lots of examples, eg how to feed data into existing pop-up menus.

Then you start writing the list of all the new possibilities that never existed while you had a static site!

cheers
bruce